Macross is released, what should come first?

Acteon

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.animeindependent.net
So with Macross now potentially coming West, which series would you lead with?

My vote would be Macross Zero, establish the backstory with a good-looking show to catch the public's imagination.

Lost for Worlds

Reaction score
Similar issue to my Gundam question, it seems. I recall watching Macross Plus years ago but I could be hallucinating it as I cannot remember a thing about it, so I'll go with a general statement of one that is: engaging and accessible. Assuming you want to suck your audience in and leave a desire for more.

Acteon

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.animeindependent.net
Similar issue to my Gundam question, it seems. I recall watching Macross Plus years ago but I could be hallucinating it as I cannot remember a thing about it, so I'll go with a general statement of one that is: engaging and accessible. Assuming you want to suck your audience in and leave a desire for more.
Oh, then I'd go Frontier. You have two potential throughlines (which I'm writing an article about on AI)

Jenius family
Macross - Macross 7 - Macross Delta
That takes you through 3 generations of Jenius - Max & Millia, Mylene and Mirage Jenius.

Nome family/Roy Fokker
Macross Zero - Macross - Macross Frontier
So Roy Fokker links Zero and the original Macross, the Nome sisters link Zero and Frontier. I'd say this is the better arrangement of the available series, plus you start with an OAV that's somewhat modern (2002).

Lost for Worlds

Reaction score
Oh, then I'd go Frontier. You have two potential throughlines (which I'm writing an article about on AI)

Jenius family
Macross - Macross 7 - Macross Delta
That takes you through 3 generations of Jenius - Max & Millia, Mylene and Mirage Jenius.

Nome family/Roy Fokker
Macross Zero - Macross - Macross Frontier
So Roy Fokker links Zero and the original Macross, the Nome sisters link Zero and Frontier. I'd say this is the better arrangement of the available series, plus you start with an OAV that's somewhat modern (2002).
I look forward to reading it and similar to the Gundam question, relieving some of my (most would argue of all things) vast ignorance.

Acteon

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.animeindependent.net
Last edited:

Lost for Worlds

Reaction score
Luckily I did a bit of sacrificing and now Bigwest are releasing Macross globally, starting with Flash Back 2012 on Youtube! All all the great bucket-God boojie :)

But what did you sacrifice? And why does the bucket-god boojie sound so familiar? It's doing my head in remembering but dammit all I refuse to google it. That would be cheating.

Acteon

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.animeindependent.net
But what did you sacrifice? And why does the bucket-god boojie sound so familiar? It's doing my head in remembering but dammit all I refuse to google it. That would be cheating.
For the sake of legality, I'm gonna say I sacrificed chocolate...

It's a riff on Babylon 5, when Marcus and Ivonova are trying to communicate with the first ones who think they're insignificant, and he comes up with the idea of putting a bucket on his head and claiming to be the great God boojie :)

Just bought the HD release on Amazon Prime, so it's in my head. The show is still great, reminds me why I dislike modern Trek so much. Cult TV was so much better written in the 90's.

Reactions: Lost for Worlds

Lost for Worlds

Reaction score
For the sake of legality, I'm gonna say I sacrificed chocolate...

It's a riff on Babylon 5, when Marcus and Ivonova are trying to communicate with the first ones who think they're insignificant, and he comes up with the idea of putting a bucket on his head and claiming to be the great God boojie :)

Just bought the HD release on Amazon Prime, so it's in my head. The show is still great, reminds me why I dislike modern Trek so much. Cult TV was so much better written in the 90's.
That explains it then! Meanwhile Marcus no doubt making covert puppy-eyes at Ivanova. One thing that confused me no end about B5 is how it could have guest stars like Michael York then go the other end with that terrible actress who plays the Martian rebel in series 4. She's more wooden than I was in the one school play I was in when I was 11.

Oddly, B5 came to mind in the opening seconds of Gundam Origins I (yes, I have started my journey, just need to watch VI), as the battle before the mobile suits seemed right out of B5, especially tail end of series two and series three. And the colony vessels felt pure B5, even if coincidental.