Gundam Anime - where to start!?

Lost for Worlds

Reaction score
'lo all,

I recently ordered the two Gundam Origin blu-rays in the sale as been meaning to finally dip my proverbial into Gundam. But, there's just so much of it, and so considering what's available (buy, stream, etc.) or not it's hard to know where is the best to start? Anything best avoided as a dodgy misstep along the way? (And it seems some dodgy compilation movies vs seies?? Or not... as the case may be.) The obvious start point is to start is the beginning and don't stop till you get to the end and that may not even be possible or practicable! So...

Tips, advice, thoughts, all welcome.

Ta muchly.

Acteon

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.animeindependent.net
Hiya,

Since Gundam has a lot of separate timelines, you can dip in and out of some series. Stand-alone include Iron Blooded Orphans, Gundam SEED’ Gundam Wing, Gundam X and Gundam 00. SEED is a personal favourite (my first exposure to the series), and Iron Blooded Orphans was pretty good (and on Netflix)

Funi has all the Original Century timeline Gundam, so that’s worth a look. Origin is a great start, you can augment it with Gundam Unicorn and Gundam Hathaway.

The only Gundam I’d avoid is Gundam Wing and Gundam F91. The former is a bit long-winded (and doesn’t make much sense), the latter was supposed to be a full series but was condensed into a film.

all my personal opinion but I hope it helps a bit :)

Reactions: Lost for Worlds

Lost for Worlds

Reaction score
Thank you kindly, help it does - I saw the timelines on the Wikipedia entry but of course that almost complicates things... if I watch things out of order will it turn into some mad jumble? (My brain struggles at the best of times.) So good to know dipping in and out is entirely practicable without frying the brain.

Looks like Iron Blood Orphans also on Crunchyroll (Netflix I avoid for the dearth of old movies...), as is Unicorn. So will start to delve. Just need to finish Beyond the Boundary, which I had totally confused with another series, but who cares, I'm enjoying it! Just need to remember what the series is I confused it with...

Acteon

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.animeindependent.net
Cool, glad it helped - Gundam is such a deep dive. Oh, and there's lots of free Gundam streaming on the officia Gundam website, can't believe I forgot that!

Funny, I saw Beyond the Boundary for a tenner on Zavvi - read Seb's review and picked it up. Got this week off so might even have tome to watch it (along with the pile of other discs sat in a corner!)

Lost for Worlds

Reaction score
Don't worry I forget everything so any more thoughts, keep them coming. Nothing wrong with a deep dive, always good to be able to immerse oneself into something. Looks like we picked BtB up in the same sale, though realised I'd also started After the Rain. So better finish that, too, even if watched through a minor red wine haze. The pile, sadly, never goes down... or is that a good thing? Maybe a good thing, always something else to watch,