Netflix Cowboy Bebop Woes

Lost for Worlds

Reaction score
As someone who enjoyed the original series but was never as transfixed by it as others (to which I hereby expect to be hung, drawn, quartered then reassembled to then have the torture reapplied due to my heresy;)) it still seems an odd idea to remake such a beloved series at all. I agree I don't see the point in recreating the original but I'd also argue the skill to then create it so that it genuinely does something new and unique so that it complements the original is such a tough creative act that what's the likelihood of it paying of? It feels like the old laziness of recreating a thing because of assuming it will bring in a predetermed audience rather than taking a risk on an original IP.

But that's just curmudgeonly old me.

Acteon

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.animeindependent.net
Oh I wouldn't worry, good as it was I'm not overly attached to it either. I think the really fanatical fans are in a minority, just magnified by social media.

I don't know if they (Hollywood) do these things due to lack of original ideas, the current popularity of anime/nostalgia or just because they can, but it never seems to be because they want to appeal to the built in fanbase.

To that end, it seems odd that they aren't recreating the anime beat for beat, since they don't seem to care much what the original fans think, so presumably they're shooting for a new audience - so why not take advantage of what worked? Aside from the fact that the lead is in his 40's instead of his 20's I suppose.

As for Pineda, I dunno, I'm just getting sick of shrill diatribes from people who have the money and the clout to take the higher ground. Is there really a need to show how thin-skinned you are? We used to respect and admire celebrities (Peter Falk is a legend for example, love that man) but I can't think of many Hollywood actors I'd actually like to meet these days.

In terms of the show, I was interested to see where they went with it, and personally didn't give a toss about Faye's costume (does anyone, really?). Not sure I'm all that bothered now.

Lost for Worlds

Reaction score
For one I'd never even heard of Pineda before this but then my usual blindness to most things pop culture but more importantly if you love Falk, I assume you've seen him in Wenders' Wings of Desire (I'm taking Coloumbo as a given - though usually better when they also have Patrick McGoohan simple 'cos another legend). If not: do. Beyond being a beautiful film full stop watching Falk play Falk, a joy, especially when he's in the still; derelict parts of Berlin. Just feel like he's rocked up and being... himself.

Now wait for the Hollywood reboot of Wings of Desire (assuming someone didn't already, wouldn't surprise me if they had) and it'll be directed by someone who is 'visionary', of course meaning not.

Acteon

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.animeindependent.net
I haven't actually seen Wings of Desire, but will certainly pick that up. With regards Columbo, have the box set and ripped it all to the Plex drive so I can watch it at work. McGoohan arguably has some of the very best episodes, but Jack Cassidy was an equally formidable rogue with a dastardly twinkle in his eye. I love the fact that Jamie Lee Curtis turns up in a bit part, and that we see Falk's actual wife on screen several times when the fictional one was always so notably absent. He makes The Princess Bride sparkle, and his roast of Frank Sinatra was amazing. I could watch the man read the phone directory to be honest, he just comes across as a very warm and wonderful person.

As you say, Pineda I've never heard of, and really not that bothered given the evidence of her behaviour so far. I don't see Cowboy Bebop being as seminal as something like Daredevil.

Lost for Worlds

Reaction score
Strange I think the last Columbo I ever watched was with Cassidy as a Magician. I remember looking him up afterwards because he always has that twinkle, even in the compulsively terrible Eastwood film, The Eiger Sanction. I was trying to find out why he'd disappeared then sadly found out about all his mental health issues.

Getting back to Falk, one day I'll actually watch his movies by Cassevettes. But still so much to watch, I mean, sad but true only last week did I watch my first couple of Mizoguchi films and that for some would be sacrilege.