I am BRAND NEW to anime!!

EmotionalEater

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just joined the forum and have just started watching anime, literally today. I am currently watching Prison School because it made me lol about 3 minutes in so I was hooked. It is dubbed and I know that opens a huge can of worms for the anime community.
My questions for everyone are:

- What anime should I watch? I enjoy the comedy genre, but am open to others.
- Sub or dub?

Acteon

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.animeindependent.net
Hi, welcome to the forum (and wider world of anime!) First thought is how lucky you are, so many great shows to experience for the first time!

I don't think you need to worry about dubs or subs, it's persoal preference, and sometimes the first version you're exposed to makes it iconic, like Tenchi or Cyber City Oedo.

Comedy is a bit more subjective I fid, I'm not a huge fan of overly slapstick stuff, but Tenchi Muyo (MVM) is pretty funny, and if you like lewder stuff, Monster Musume will probably be a hit. You might also try the gambling anime on Netflix, Kakegurui.

Oh, and Nadesico. Definetely Nadesico.

On a broader scale, Your Name is a wonderful film, Please don't tease me Miss Nagatoro is a fun show, and forfantasy drama, Rising of the Shield Hero is pretty epic.

Reactions: EmotionalEater

EmotionalEater

Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the forum (and wider world of anime!) First thought is how lucky you are, so many great shows to experience for the first time!

I don't think you need to worry about dubs or subs, it's persoal preference, and sometimes the first version you're exposed to makes it iconic, like Tenchi or Cyber City Oedo.

Comedy is a bit more subjective I fid, I'm not a huge fan of overly slapstick stuff, but Tenchi Muyo (MVM) is pretty funny, and if you like lewder stuff, Monster Musume will probably be a hit. You might also try the gambling anime on Netflix, Kakegurui.

Oh, and Nadesico. Definetely Nadesico.

On a broader scale, Your Name is a wonderful film, Please don't tease me Miss Nagatoro is a fun show, and forfantasy drama, Rising of the Shield Hero is pretty epic.
Thank you for the recommendations. It’s like a new found love, but better late than never, as they say. I have been missing out on anime for years!

Lost for Worlds

Reaction score
As one who delves in and out of anime it'd be good to know more about other tastes - as helps to judge what you might like. Agree entirely on Rising of the Shield Hero (being one that goes with and against the tropes and adds some darkness - and humour). Personally I'd anti-dub, but that's just me. Go with what works.

I tend to be years behind the times (sigh), but worth trying the classics like Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (humour, action, pacing is perfect, and story is superb - characterisation is spot on, too). It's not humour like Prison School but just started Space Dandy, which is definitely humourous (with running joke riffing off an anime version of Hooters but more knowing).

Best thing to do is delve into some of the reviews, new and old, to get some inspiration, just bear in mind some things might not be available anymore depending upon its age.

Tweek

Reaction score
Welcome :)

I'd recommend going to Crunchyroll and trying a few random shows; there is something for everybody's taste there.

If you are looking to build a physical anime collection check out MVM's 'deals of the week'; they are a good way to build a collection cheaply.