UK DVD release of Battle Girls: Time Paradox receives eight second cut from BBFC

Discussion in 'News' started by Hanners, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Shiroi Hane

Shiroi Hane Baka Ranger

They were send the uncut version naturally. Beez didn't have to make any edits themselves since a version already existed that complied with the BBFCs demands (which used a substitution rather than a cut)

2. Shadow Cat

Shadow Cat HelloKittyIsMyWaifu

Yeh, Sorry about that, we pushed this thread WAY off topic.

So to move it on-topic

Who acturly cares its been cut? and will you still buy the series?

3. NottJim

NottJim Registered

Given that:

BBFC link

This seems like it would be very unlikely for Tsukimonogatari to be released uncut (MAL list Tsukihi Araragi as being 13-14).

The BBFC lists Nisemonogatari as uncut, so I guess because Shinobu is actually a 500 year old vampire (who just looks like a 8 year old girl), that's ok? :rolleyes:

How does this work for streaming licenses? Do they just get to show whatever they like?

4. happosai

happosai =(^;^)=

Two of the 3 Nisemonogatari releases are rated 18 (the other 15). I'm not familiar with the series, but I would guess that this is one of the reasons for them having received that age rating. It's not clear from the wording on the BBFC website, but I'd guess that Battle Girls would have received an 18 rating without the cut. As I understand it, the BBFC will provide an age rating based on the material presented to them, and details of what would need to be removed in order to attain a lower rating, if that's what the submitter is aiming for.

Whilst it is legally mandatory for material that is released theatrically or offered for sale on physical media in the UK to be certified by the BBFC, no such requirement exists for digital media (although some on-line content providers do choose to use the BBFC to provide age ratings).

However, digital media providers operating legally within the UK still have to comply with UK law and would be prosecuted if they provided something it considered obscene.

[Happosai]

#24 happosai, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  5. Hanners

Hanners Strawberry Sae forever

Don't forget ATVOD, the UK's digital video version of the BBFC's extortion racket (i.e. pay them vast fees for them to do very little beyond try to cripple UK content creators working within that space).

6. happosai

happosai =(^;^)=

At least the BBFC provides a tangible service for the money, i.e. an indication of the suitability of material to people of different ages (albeit mandatory and arguably subjective).

ATVOD, whilst supposedly ensuring compliance to various UK laws governing broadcast material (which material providers are subject to anyway), is pretty nebulous in what it does, and, as you say, is little more than a racket.

[Happosai]