UK DVD release of Battle Girls: Time Paradox receives eight second cut from BBFC

Discussion in 'News' started by Hanners, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Hanners

Hanners Strawberry Sae forever

2. Weirdo

Weirdo UKA Editor in Chief
    Staff Member

Yeah, not surprised that got a cut tbh if its the scene I remember.

3. Claw

Claw Registered

Interesting. The series was not memorable in the least, but I don't recall anything questionable? Or, in fact, any actual nudity? Unless I've forgotten the entire series because it was just that bland...

4. TiggsPanther

TiggsPanther Registered

I wonder if this has something to do with the UK release being DVD-only.

After all, it would mean being unable to use the existing master as-is. And anyone determined for the best possible quality would probably be importing the unaltered version, anyway.

5. demon

demon Registered

Unlikely since MVM announced that it would be DVD only 2 months before the rating was announced.

6. Shadow Cat

Shadow Cat HelloKittyIsMyWaifu

I don't think it matters what format indecent content of under 18's is on. Its still the same content.

There is one exeption to this as you may all know. But I think this was more of a mistake than a thumbs up from the BBFC

7. Morgs

Morgs Registered

So, this isn't directly link to OP but the article mentioned a Code geass cut. Iv only seen 6 or 7 eps I think of that show but was said cut the table grinder girl or was there more?

8. Shadow Cat

Geass cut was somone touching someone eles breasts with a minor in the background if memory serves me right

9. Morgs

Morgs Registered

Wow really!? Obviously I haven't seen it but that seems a bit over the top. Especially if they weren't involved and were merely characters in the background.

10. Shadow Cat

#10 Shadow Cat, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  11. Morgs

Morgs Registered

Hahah, what a joke! Thanks for the link.

12. S.D. Hester

S.D. Hester Registered

The shot is a still on a Character's Mobile Phone, the BBFC just held the shot of them looking at the Phone, but the click sound of the pictures being scrolled through is still there.

Pretty pathetic really.

13. happosai

happosai =(^;^)=

Note that the BBFC doesn't dictate how a cut/censorship has to be made, only what has to be removed to attain a particular age certification (and may make suggestions on how to achieve this).

[Happosai]

14. Tora-kun

Tora-kun Trying to improve

That's only if a company is aiming for a particular certificate, and I doubt MVM care either way if a show like this turns out as a 15 or 18 (it also creates unnecessary extra work for them). I suspect it's a mandatory cut for legal reasons tbh as it refers specifically to the character's age. I've never seen it, so have no real opinion.

15. Morgs

Morgs Registered

Did the shot ever make it back into the recent Kaze BDs ? Not that its such a big deal or anything but am curious.

16. happosai

happosai =(^;^)=

It was a mandatory cut for legal reasons, but what I was saying is that the way it was removed, as described and attributed to the BBFC in S.D. Hester's post, wouldn't have been dictated by the BBFC.

[Happosai]

#16 happosai, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  17. Hanners

Hanners Strawberry Sae forever

We don't talk about that lest it cause problems, but let's just say that the missing footage isn't not there... ;)

18. S.D. Hester

S.D. Hester Registered

Thanks for correcting me, I assumed it was a BBFC thing rather than a precut.

I'm old enough to remember the Overfiend VHS Release and the holy hell that followed in its wake, so I figured they had a hand in it in some way.

19. Shiroi Hane

Shiroi Hane Baka Ranger

The format is very important to the distributor; almost all UK BDs are authored either in the US or Australia. If they need to cut something, they won't be able to use these existing masters so would have to create their own which generally prohibits it being released on BD at all.

For the record, in this case I believe Beez used a master of the episode that had already been edited for broadcast in the US, so it was actually someone in the US who decided on the substitution rather than a cut.

20. happosai

happosai =(^;^)=

I've just realised that I've been conflating the cut highlighted in the OP with the one in CG discussed further on in this thread, although what I've said still stands (I've changed the link in my second post accordingly).

I wouldn't have thought that the BBFC would mention the cut if it had already been made prior to the material being submitted to them for certification.

[Happosai]