Scotland Loves Anime announces 2014 line-up

Discussion in 'News' started by Hanners, Aug 29, 2014.

1. megalomaniac

Myself, Rob, Andy, Dan and a few others are heading Edinburgh way. - So you'll probably want to go to Glasgow to avoid us ;) XD

2. Hanners

Hanners Strawberry Sae forever

Well, I'm in Glasgow for that weekend too, so I'm afraid there's no escape from me!

3. Shiroi Hane

Shiroi Hane Baka Ranger

4. -Danielle-

-Danielle- Whore dollas all over the place...

Where's the Corner House relocating too? What's going to go where that is??? lol.

Ooooooh Leeds International Film Fest does an anime day? I never knew that! Might have to look into it, ta :)

5. ShinAsura

ShinAsura Captain Awesome

Totally sold on the battle of the gods screening in Edinburgh. They rest is a maybe

6. happosai

happosai =(^;^)=

It's merging with the Library Theatre to become HOME (crap name) and will be located on the First Street development further down Whitworth Street (near Deansgate Locks).

There are rumours that the Cornerhouse and adjacent buildings will be demolished to make way for an office, hotel, flats and leisure development.

It's on 9 November this year and passes cost 25 full/20 conc. (tickets for individual screenings also available).

Once the programme for LIFF2014 has been released, I will add details of all the Japanese films being screened to the NanimeW website, as always, and there will no doubt be a thread on here about meeting up to go to the anime day once the full lineup has been announced (Wings of Honneamise is the only one mentioned so far)..

[Happosai]

7. -Danielle-

Thanks sweet, doing that would be ace and a much needed reminder for me :)

That sucks about the Cornerhouse, I've never been there but it always looks really cool. It would be a shame is like Jilly's this does perish for what you've said they're after putting in it's place. As if we dont have enough empty offices as it is! The Cornerhouse even makes the walk upto the train station there look nice! lol.

Eugh, duno about it being near the locks! I hate it there, so chavvy. They would of been better keeping it with the Library near Great Northern as that's still close to the locks, but more near the nice part of Deansgate lol.

8. happosai

happosai =(^;^)=

Whilst it would be a shame for the main Cornerhouse building to be demolished, it's not that historic and was a furniture shop (the owners also had a warehouse & factory where Font is) until 1985, when the Cornerhouse took it over. I'd be just as sad about the demolition of the Salisbury and Grand Central pubs on the same site.

Jilly's is reopening next month as a 'school of rock' operated by Access To Music (although I'm not quite sure which bits of Jilly's still remain after Tescos moved in...probably the part downstairs that was The Music Box in the latter years).

Yeah, the locks are townie central on a weekend, but I think the location of First Street is far enough away (and partially separated by the railway) to not be affected by it (many years ago, I actually used to work in the large square building that was already on that site, formerly Grand Island, now called Number One First Street).

[Happosai]

#28 happosai, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  9. -Danielle-

I like the rock bar they have facing the locks :) I'd be upset if they ever removed Grand Central as you said. I was last there dressed as Pikachu for a Birthday :p

OMG Jilly's is reopening?! I'd love that! I genuinely haven't been on that side of town for a fair while so I have no idea what they're doing with the area around that Tesco & Pizza Express. I work in Spinningfields and get the bus from Piccadilly so really its all inbetween those two places I hover now.

As for your NanimeW nights, I found you lot LATE so like the film nights had already stopped. Was well gutted :(

10. happosai

happosai =(^;^)=

Rebellion? I've been to a couple of things there...it'll be interesting to see how it does. It's been a succession of crappy dance clubs in recent years, but my housemate used to DJ there in the early '90s when it was an indie/alternative club called the Ministry.

Jilly's isn't reopening as such, just partially being used for music things again. It remains to be seen what they do with the performance space with regards to public gigs and club nights.

We're about to start planning for the Doki Doki Festival 2015 in earnest, for which I organise the film screenings (some with the generous help of SLA/AL's very own Andrew), amongst many other things, so it may inspire me to start up the film nights again.

[Happosai]

11. DiGiKerot

DiGiKerot Registered

There's some things I'm really looking forward to, and some things a little less so, but once again I'll be making my way to both Glasgow and Edinburgh like a crazy person.

I really want to see the specific dates for Edinburgh, though, so that I'll know what I'm missing by only being there over the weekend.

12. -Danielle-

Ah yeah I remember it's next door neighbour was called The Music Box!

Ah thats cool about Doki Doki, pondered last year but the price out weighed what was there for me by a smidge so hopefully what you guys have to hand out for next years will be ace :)

13. Hanners

Hanners Strawberry Sae forever

14. rjessop

rjessop Registered

I was disappointed to learn yesterday that I was going to miss some of the films on earlier in the week. Andrew said in his interview with you that it'd be taking place over the 17th-19th; so that's what I booked travel and accommodation for and it's too late to change it now. Ah well, it should still be fun.

15. megalomaniac

Ditto - Honneamise was one of the things I really wanted to see :(