Scotland Loves Anime announces 2014 line-up

Discussion in 'News' started by Hanners, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Hanners

Hanners Strawberry Sae forever

#1 Hanners, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  2. Hanners

UPDATE: The full line-up is now up and added to the news story!

3. Random88

Random88 The Videogame Guy

Bought my weekend pass last week in preparation for this. Will be seeing every film except for the late night GitS screening on Friday.

4. -Danielle-

-Danielle- Whore dollas all over the place...

I hate hate hate how Manchester doesn't have/do anything like this. No fair, sounds brilliant :(

5. CrimsonScholar

CrimsonScholar Uka-no-Mitama-no-kami

The only movies in that lineup that interest me are Wings of Honneamise and Giovanni's Island.

Unfortunately i dont think ill be able to go this year.:(

6. Tora-kun

Tora-kun Trying to improve

Lupin v. Conan is a surprise appearance for me. Would be interested in that and possibly Giovanni's Island should it come to London.

7. Hanners

I think it's an open secret at this point that this isn't the last we'll see of Giovanni's Island in the UK. Not sure whether Lupin vs. Conan will ever make it beyond a Scotland Loves Anime appearance though.

8. happosai

happosai =(^;^)=

Yeah, and we often miss out on other anime film screenings that get shown elsewhere in the country (we don't have a Picturehouse cinema here, which seem to show a number of them...the nearest is in Liverpool).

Thank goodness for the anime day at Leeds International Film Festival...only an hour away by train.

I have considered restarting the monthly Japanese film night that I ran for several years, but am not sure I can commit financially or time-wise at the moment.

[Happosai]

9. electra

electra New Member

I didn't realise stuff like this actually happened in Scotland OTL

10. latro

latro Anime Editor
    Staff Member

Looks like I'll be able to head up to Edinburough this year (though when I get there will depend on if work will let me have the day off/go early).

Now, just to hope that the mystery film might be the live action Lupin - it'll have been subbed for a couple of screenings in the US by then and would be a nice counter point to Lupin v Conan...

11. NottJim

NottJim Registered

I bought tickets to all of the Edinburgh films last year and I managed to see everything but FUSE - Memoirs of the Hunter Girl and The Life of Budori Gusuko just because my spine literally couldn't take anymore.

I think my favourites last year where The Garden of Words, Patema Inverted and Perfect Blue. Evangelion 3.0 was amazing but left me in a dark confused place.

I don't want to be down on the SLA guys, but this years line up has a lot less of interest to me. I'll still probably end up seeing 4 or 5 films, with Time of Eve being the highlight, but it's not as tempting as last year.

I'm guessing the mystery film will be another one of the Ghost in the Shell: ARISE OVAs, but I'm secretly hoping it will be Madoka Magica Rebellion.

12. andrew_animeltd

andrew_animeltd Registered

Effectively you get some years where everything appears shiny and pulls people in - others where the content can be good but more of an uphill push to get people in. This year definitely is the latter, but I'm still pretty proud of it for a few reasons:

1. Giovanni's Island - It's rare you get a film like this outside of Ghibli and it's a labour of love for me really as it's both historically and creatively interesting for a few reasons that I'll bore people with as we get close to the festival.

2. A really solid Sci-Fi strand with some real classics and modern greats. Wings of Honneamise on the big screen is a big moment for me - it's an amazing classic and we've got it - restored in HD for the big screen. Mix it with Time of Eve and others and for me, it's probably my proudest moment as a cinema programmer bizarrely. All films that have been and gone on piracy but are ones you /need/ to see on the big screen really.

3. BONES feature - I've spent years working on the right timing for a studio focus and I couldn't be starting with a better choice to be honest. Very excited to have Minami-san coming and let's face it, I'll keep screening Sword of the Stranger on the big screen til someone finds a way to stop me...

It's not as flashy a year for new film really sure - but it does feel like a very full and engaging line-up at least from my seat. So 4-5 films is perfectly fine by me based on the above and I hope you enjoy them too - odds are I'll be there too anyway ;)!

Andrew

13. Martin

Martin guitaku
    Staff Member

I'll make this clear right now: if Real Life/work-related stuffs hadn't got in the way, I'd totally be there this year. Granted, there's not as much in the line-up that looks as appealing, but in 2013 half the fun was being pleasantly surprised by something I didn't expect to enjoy as much as I did (e.g. Fuze, Patema, Yoyo & Nene, Koga Maryuin’s Last War. The less said about The Purple Cat the better though...).

The 'push' to get butts on seats might be more difficult this year, but I'm waiting until it's over before making a judgement. All I can say is that I'm gutted at not being able to join in this time around.

One last thing to say to anyone who IS going: go see The Time of Eve. Seriously.

14. Chrono

Chrono Legendary Devil Knight

It's a wonder corner house don't do one. Though most places only seem interested in flogging ghibli to death!

15. latro

latro Anime Editor
    Staff Member

Would have to say that if there is any disappointment for me in th line-up at present its that theres a Dragonball film on (though this provides a perfect food break) and neither of the last two Ghibli films are on - I'd especially love it if I could have gotten to see When Marnie Was There.

16. rjessop

rjessop Registered

It's worth the trip for me just to see Wings on the big screen and visit lovely (post-referendum!) Edinburgh. What an amazing film that is; thoughtful and beautiful.

I'm probably in for all of them but I might join Latro on that DBZ food break, depending on how accessible the film is likely to be for people who've never seen any of the series or other films.

Thanks for putting it on again Andrew.

17. andrew_animeltd

andrew_animeltd Registered

I can understand that - it's one we felt should get a shot at the big screen though as it does mean something to a lot of people who aren't even anime fans really :). Food breaks aren't so bad too :p!

The way Ghibli works is very fair - if it falls within Canal UK's marketing period then anyone above a certain size can have it (which includes SLA). We've pushed pretty hard for Kaguya and while nothing is impossible last minute, I think we fall outside of the period by a hairs breadth - will keep folk in the loop though of course!

Marnie is awesome sadly but much more likely an SLA 2015 show at this stage as much as I'd love to say otherwise!

AP

18. NottJim

NottJim Registered

Wow, I wasn't expecting a response from the man himself! I feel a bit sheepish complaining now. Anyway, I'm always ready to try something new and maybe I'll find something worthy of being added to the collection :)

[​IMG]

Thanks for putting on these events Andrew, they are greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

19. happosai

happosai =(^;^)=

The Cornerhouse don't even do decent arthouse seasons these days. They've just had a month of screening Ghibli films yet again... Here's hoping that they rethink their programming when they relocate next year.

[Happosai]

20. SUPERFISH5000

SUPERFISH5000 Church of Pancake

Imma try and make this. I take it Edinburgh is the preferred venue?