MVM Entertainment shifts Garden of Sinners release date

Discussion in 'News' started by Hanners, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Hanners

Hanners Strawberry Sae forever

2. megalomaniac

I'd be interested to see how well Garden of Sinners sells. Given the fanbase of that show I really can't see many people coughing up for a DVD only release.

3. Acteon

Acteon Behind you...

Problem with this one is that the owners are so terrified of reverse imports they simply won't allow an HD version outside of Japan. It's the sort of ham-fisted market control that really should be obsolete by now...

4. Martin

Martin guitaku
    Staff Member

QFT. The baffling part is, Kaze have been allowed to release it on the European mainland, so the policy is also inexplicably inconsistent! I shudder to think how many forehead-shaped dents there must be in MVM's office desks at this point. I really feel for them, because they must be so tired of hearing "blu-rays where?" and being unable to do a thing about it. :evil:

5. Hanners

I imagine, given the size of the French market, that any reverse importation concerns are assuaged by the provision of cold, hard cash to the licensor. Meanwhile, of course, Aniplex USA side-stepped the issue by simply importing the expensive Japanese release directly for the North American audience. Sadly, the UK market isn't big enough to support either of those efforts.

6. TiggsPanther

TiggsPanther Registered

The real shame is that I can imagine this one (with it's praised visuals) being a good way of persuading the undecided to give Blu-ray a try.

7. Acteon

Acteon Behind you...

Yeah - it's bad enough that MVM get stick for not releasing everything on Blu Ray, but when it would sell well and provide such a great experience, its a double kick in the nuts.

8. Martin

Martin guitaku
    Staff Member

That would make sense actually. Between the size of the market there and the language barrier being just that when it comes to cross-country importing (how many people in the UK would be fluent enough in French or Dutch? :p), a FR/NL release makes sense.

It's an unfortunate accident instead of a deliberate snub, but the end result of the UK being 'frozen out' of a blu-ray release of this still stings.

It may not have affected the situation in the end, but if more than a tantalising exerpt of the original novel had been given a proper translation, the extra exposure wouldn't have hurt a home video release of the movie adaptations further down the line.

*sighs* What could have been...

9. TiggsPanther

TiggsPanther Registered

And at least when MVM choose to release something DVD-only, they know they are going to get flak over it and make the decision being fully aware of that fact.

But to be forced to take the same flak (and lose potential sales) for a title where they'd likely prefer to have a Blu-ray version out as well? That just bites. Especially as it'll be seen as "just another MVM DVD-only release" when that isn't really the case.

And the (rotten) cherry on top is that this is probably exactly the fairly high-profile visually-stunning Blu-ray release that MVM could do with right about now. And, from what I can tell, this is one of the times where MVM probably agree with my format preference. :p

10. Mormegil

Mormegil 12professions 13accidents

sorry :p

On that note even if you are fluent in dutch, the quality of the dutch subs from Kaz is an aftertought.

Mind if I add a tought from a person from the lucky side of the channel for once?
    Even with the "massive" size of the french market (I refuse to call it the FR/NL market) it still took Kaz 2,5 years to go from the individual DVDs, to a collection, to a final collection blu-ray boxset. This can be interpreted in 2 ways.
    Either that there is a possibility that it might eventually come, that Aniplex is hoping for dubble dipping (as yours trully) DVD and Blu-ray.
    Or that even with the might of the french market, they still had to work that long to get permission.

I find the first more likely. Kaz isn't like MangaUK or MVM wich are essentially quite custumor based. If you ask them something that isn't to crazy, you as a fan (or group of fans) might actually make something happen, or at least they will respond and tell you why not. Good luck on that front with Kaz.
    I think a perfect example is the disappearance of KazUK-chan on any form of social media after a setback, and following them on french media seems they don't quite care to respond to fanquestions.

Speculating a bit here, (I planned to scour the Kaz forum archives for some proof, but ti's down) but I think that the inital complaints from the french kara no kyokai fans might have gotten them to send an email to Aniplex at most, and moved on with their lives. And maybe after some business review thing way down the line they brought it back on.

long story short: If no news for a potential blu-ray release comes soon for MVM, they are doubely screwed. They payed for homerelease (both DVD and Blu-ray) but don't have persmission to actually print the damn thing. This can (and probably will) be a loss for MVM, and might actually hinder future licenses between the 2.

11. Mormegil

Mormegil 12professions 13accidents

BTW, isn't this post about moving their release schedule, shouldn't we be whining about that? :p

12. latro

latro Anime Editor
    Staff Member

At this point its bigger news if something releases on time....

Regarding the DVD/bluray issue I doubt it'll have a huge sales impact on such a niche series. The big fans have already imported the expensive blurays and I doubt anyone else who has an interest will boycott the release when it seems to have Ben made clear that the bluray will never be forthcoming(although the price of the set might hold sales up a bit - for what's realistically a pretty unknown property a 60 price point isn't exactly going to encourage anyone to pick it up on the off chance...)

13. TiggsPanther

TiggsPanther Registered

Maybe not a huge impact, but it will affect the "not quite casual" fans.

Even without flat-out boycotting, there are those of us out there that have various reasons way the lack of Blu-ray will still result in a lack of a sale.

For myself, I have no history with the series but it looks like exactly the kind of story I would buy when idly browsing the Blu-ray section looking for something new but along my wavelength to buy.

And between this and other things, it certainly makes me less likely to get invested in Aniplex properties.
    Again, not exactly as far as boycotting. More that a lot of their release restrictions are the kind of thing that would keep a show from being promoted out of my "saved for later" pile. I have a large enough pile of titles vying for my interest (and funds) that I can happily ignore certain titles or companies and still have a massive pile of things to watch.

14. cyborg 002

cyborg 002 Registered

Considering it won't be out on bluray I will be getting the DVD collection.

Still it pisses me off there is no Bluray release.

15. Acteon

Acteon Behind you...

To be fair, MVM don't choose to release something DVD only, the market dictates whether or not something on Blu Ray will be profitable. Unfairly (I think) MVM take a lot of flak over BD releases while people rarely mention that Manga released Aria, Squid Girl, Bamboo Blade, Bakuman, Princess Jellyfish and a great deal more on DVD only. Maybe I miss the vitriol on Manga's facebook page, but there's a perception that MVM have more DVD only releases than Manga by some margin, and it simply isn't true.

Incidentally, on Mormegil's point that sometimes UK fans can make a difference to UK releases, that's absolutely right - you can thank the fans for Another's release on Blu Ray, and I'll take credit for Heaven's Memo Pad, as I must have nagged Tony every day for a year to get that one - I'd have preferred Blu Ray for it, but I'll take what I can get and I'm very grateful to Tony for listening and bagging it!

16. Tahmoh

Tahmoh Registered

The dellay actually helped me decide to pre order so its not all bad for mvm :)

Now if they would just licence Nichijou and try to get that Another OVA even if iit's just subbed i'll be a very happy mvm customer :)

17. Hanners

Was the Another OVA not on the initial release? I remember there being a "special" on there, which I always assumed was the additional episode.

18. megalomaniac

In the past that was certainly true (you list a lot of old releases: Aria - reviewed 07/2013, Squid Girl - reviewed 08/2012, Bamboo Blade - reviewed 11/2010, Bakuman - reviewed 06/2013, Princess Jellyfish - reviewed 08/2012), but now MVM are very much the odd one out for still favoring DVD. That's why they get flak from Tiggsy and co. If they genuinely believe what you're saying they really haven't got their fingers on the pulse of the market and they're basing decisions on rather out of date information - which is worrying as I like to see MVM doing well.

19. TiggsPanther

TiggsPanther Registered

In this case, what I meant was that MVM are themselves looking at the market and working out whether they believe t would be profitable. They are figuring out whether they think the "noise" of BD-fans would translate into enough sales.

But when Aniplex says "No Blu-ray for You" then the choice is out of MVM's hands. They are saddled with the disgruntled voices even if they think it could justify a BD run.
    And as much as I usually give MVM flak for DVD-only releases, I can see the difference between those ones and this one. I accept that it is out of MVM's hands. But there are people who don't frequent forums and social media as much who will just see it as "another MVM DVD-only release".

Aria is still on my to-import list. And the other are all on my "would buy them is a BD came out", apart from Bakuman. Which is an unfair addition as that's actually a Kaze release and, somewhat akin to Garden of Sinners, is a decision made further up the chain than the UK side of things.

But I also remember FMA:Brotherhood. It was one of the, if not the, first Anime Blu-rays I bought after getting a player. But the BDs got cancelled before I even finished watching set 1. I never did get around to finishing it.

And Xam'd. Which I rented from LoveFilm. And if you want to know why i will always give flak for DVD quality compared to Blu-ray, that's the series that sparked it. To me the quality drop was startlingly noticeable. The OP got hella artefacted.
    And, yes, when I bought the series I got the UK part one and the Aussie part 2.

But the import thing in Manga's case is that they turned this trend around. Including adding BDs to Fairy Tail whilst the series was still being released.
    And they continue to have a heavy Blu-ray release ratio, where a show is available in HD. And whether a show gets a Blu-ray or not, they usually announce this when they announce the actual license.

Exactly. Manga's return from the DVD-only period whilst MVM appears to stick to it is one major reason why they will get a lot of stick over it. The previous culprit "got better". But the current one gives the outward impression of not wanting to.

The other thing is the announcement windows. Format are still not locked down until months after the initial announcement, sometimes. Making it very hard to know whether to hold out for a UK release or not.

Heck. MVM got my G&P sale by sheer luck, believe it or not.
    I had actually given up on them doing a Blu-ray release. But it was announced just before I was about to place this spring's import order. (via my GF's holidaying parents)
    Just a few days later and my US order would have been placed and shipped.

I suspect one of the other reasons hat MVM tend to get more flak is that MVM do pick up some of the more niche titles. Which, in turn, probably have a more dedicated fanbase, despite their smaller size.
    And although the raw numbers who want a Blu-ray may be smaller than the people who would but the BD of a more mainstream title, the percentage of that show's fans who want a BD may be larger for some of these shows. Meaning that even if a BD release is harder to justify financially, there will be a much larger backlash because the dedicated fans who wanted a Blu-ray really wanted a Blu-ray.

20. Acteon

Acteon Behind you...

Specifically I listed the ones I wanted on Blu Ray :p Regular releases such as Bleach, Dragonball, One Piece and Naruto are also DVD only, with only the movies getting the BD treatment.

The main problem with Blu Ray is that, no matter what the title is, Blu Ray sales are barely 1/10 of DVD sales. That's a figure they just can't argue with. MVM aren't like Manga, they aren't one arm of a massive multi-national company with millions in reserve. It's one bloke paying for all of it from his own pocket. In that sense, he's been hugely successful given how good the output is for such a small organisation.

Another factor that determines how well something will do is the Amazon pre-orders. MVM, like Manga, sell most of their titles through third parties, and rely on that initial order to boost their bottom line. In some cases the pre-order has been so poor it's actually cost money to bring the title to market.

Everyone wants Blu Ray. MVM want to release on Blu Ray. But they can't do it if they know they'll lose money on it - at that point, it's goodbye MVM and the only major, regular anime distributor in the UK will me Manga Entertainment, and even Manga don't want that to happen.

To end on a positive, because MVM have found a way to cut BD authoring costs, they can now release more than they could on BD, and going forward almost all releases will get a BD release. Even old favourites, such as Samurai Champloo, are being re-released in the format. Credit where it's due - they're trying :)

#20 Acteon, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2014