MangaGamer reports database security breach

Discussion in 'News' started by Hanners, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Hanners

Hanners Strawberry Sae forever

2. Acteon

Acteon Behind you...

Gawd, not another one. These hackers are getting seriously out of hand. Can't we just put together a government task force and have them tracked down and shot? :/

3. Martin

Martin guitaku
    Staff Member

To quote that bowl of petunias: "oh no, not again."

4. Necro

Necro Grim User

Great.

I guess there's no better time then now for that security overhaul I have been meaning to do. It's just so much effort :/

5. Shadow Cat

Shadow Cat HelloKittyIsMyWaifu

Worse when you can't remember what Password you used.

Just home they don't get access to my MG account and use all my VN keys (or whatever they're called)

6. Shadow Cat

Oh wow MangaGamer, You stored all the passwords in plaintext.. That was kind of you

Thankfully I didnt use the same username or password anywhere else.

7. latro

latro Anime Editor
    Staff Member

Helpfully their website appears to be down so I can't even get on to change the password....

8. megalomaniac

How about we just slap huge fines on negligent companies that don't take data protection seriously instead. Storing passwords in plain text requires either a monumental level of stupidity or total negligence. Lax data security is like leaving your filing cabinet unlocked and out in the street, then acting surprised when someone rifles though it.

9. Necro

Necro Grim User

Well I've bothered to start using LastPass and have changed most accounts of importance to passwords I don't even know :p Luckily MangaGamer had my old email I don't have anything important linked to, but annoyingly my listed username was a current one, complete with common password and everything. I think I've gotten most things of value locked down now, though.

Still annoying.

10. demon

demon Registered

There is no point changing the password until they've fixed the problem (also they'll send out a password reset email once they've fixed it).

11. Shiroi Hane

Shiroi Hane Baka Ranger

I started using LastPass after Heartbleed, since I couldn't remember what password I'd used on which sites that might have been affected.

12. Necro

Necro Grim User

I'm pretty impressed with it so far. Previously I have used KeePass, but stopped due to terrible browser integration. LastPass however is brilliant. Would have liked to learn a bit more about the alternatives and the security of each of them but I can't complain.

13. megalomaniac

I can help with that, a quick summery:
    The problem with LastPass is you have to trust their servers to keep your passwords safe, they're a big target and they had a few issues in the past which caused me to ditch them. The other problem with them is the subscription costs for the mobile apps. If you want to use your passwords on the go then you're on the hook to pay them every year.

You've already identified the main problem with Keepass, it sucks for ease of use.

1Password has good integration and you don't have to trust someone else's servers. The problem with them is everything works better on Apple ptoducts, though that is slowly changing. Their apps are a one off charge.

Outside of that they were all a bit crap last time I looked.

14. Necro

Necro Grim User

Cheers for that.

Assuming the password vaults are stored in encrypted form (with my master being the way in) I don't have issue with it. I would like to locate a local copy of the file but their site doesn't like telling you. For the time being, not too much of a worry. As for mobile use, I don't have too much need for it, but it's not that expensive and I'm willing to pay for ease of use. I need to support more software considering my likely career path :p

I will have a look at 1Password though, just to see if it would be better.

15. Martin

Martin guitaku
    Staff Member

As counter-intuitive and 'IT-illiterate old person' as it sounds, writing down your passwords on a piece of paper that's kept in your desk drawer near the PC is actually a very secure way apparently. The rationale being, "people who want to hack into your online banking, Paypal, Ebay online forum accounts" and "people who break into your house to burgle your stuff" are mutually exclusive. Physically separating your passwords from you online presence, basically.

Of course, this doesn't address the MangaGamer issue, but if you're fed up with trying to remember your passwords and feel that using one password for everything or using a password site is putting your eggs into one basket...write the damn things down on a piece of paper!

16. Shadow Cat

Well.. The hacker has made a comment on the MangaGamer forums:

And on Twitter:

17. Necro

Necro Grim User

Interesting. Another example of why vigilantism isn't the god send everyone with a social media account seems to think it is. There's a reason that the "official" way of doing things is done that way. What a ****.

18. TiggsPanther

TiggsPanther Registered

The method I used to use was the combination of a password scheme and a cheatsheet. Working by taking parts of the annotations to apply to a common method to generate my passwords. In my case it was based somewhat around the site name, username and date of last change.
    The drawback of this method is that you end up with an arbitrary combination of letters and number that isn't necessarily memorable. And you end up having to basically decrypt your own password each time, if your memory is as crappy as mine is.

Currently I am using PasswordSafe, and variants thereof.
    It works by you actually having the encrypted safe file yourself. So you can do manual copies or, if you choose to, a cloud service such as DropBox or Google Drive.
    If you have an Android device, there's a part which also has a Google Drive companion app. And there are iOS and OSX versions which can use iCloud, Dropbox or (in teh case of the OSX version) just stick it in and shared folder you use other platform apps with.

The advantage I find to this is that you have the file yourself. And if you do put it on a cloud service, they're merely hosting and syncing the file. The encryption is in the file itself, and nothing to do with any service you may be sticking it on.

19. Shiroi Hane

Shiroi Hane Baka Ranger

Ah, another QI viewer :)

20. Martin

Martin guitaku
    Staff Member

:cool: