Jerome Mazandarani leaves Manga Entertainment, sets up Animatsu

Discussion in 'News' started by Hanners, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Hanners

Hanners Strawberry Sae forever

2. Shadow Cat

Shadow Cat HelloKittyIsMyWaifu

Not sure how I'm meant to feel about this as I haven't picked up a ME title in quite a while,

#2 Shadow Cat, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  3. TiggsPanther

TiggsPanther Registered

This is interesting news, although it's hard to know exactly what to think until more details about Animatsu become clear. We can assume this is some sort of new distributor but, as this time, we don't know for sure.

I have got the opinion, over the last year or so, that some of what Manga have been able or unable to do has been limited by being a part of Starz.
    It wouldn't surprise me if Jerome and Andrew wanted to try and do something without those particular limitations.

I also can't see it affecting Manga too much. I just can't see that brand disappearing any time soon. And having another potential player in the field is no bad thing. There is enough variation in both what anime is out there and what fans are interested in to manage a handful of not-quite-competing companies to be in the mix.

I'll be keeping my eyes on future developments.

4. Necro

Necro Grim User

Interesting news, knowing that Jerome is a pretty big part of ME. Anything to shake up the market can't be a bad thing.

5. Hanners

I think that's about the most measured and fair take on the reason behind this news that I've seen.

6. megalomaniac

I can't help but wonder about that, I suspect it rather depends whether the licensors prefer to deal with the company or the person. Those two could potentially take a lot of business with them.

7. Shiroi Hane

Shiroi Hane Baka Ranger

He must want Index and Railgun really badly 0_0

8. skippy

skippy Registered

I fear for ME now, with 90% of there knowledge base gone now, They won't go completely, Starz and Anchor bay will bank roll them, All I can say is good luck Jerome and Andrew in your new venture, without the restrictions that you were under I expect some interesting times ahead, though I do dread if Jerome is allowed on twitter again.

9. Shadow Cat

Shadow Cat HelloKittyIsMyWaifu

I'm more interested in finding out where Jerome and Andrew got the money to start (what could be an anime licensing/distributing business)

Actually I didn't see how Mr Andrew got money to start Anime Limited, I'm guessing its got something to do with @anime though

10. CrimsonScholar

CrimsonScholar Uka-no-Mitama-no-kami

This could either be good or very bad, i guess time will tell.

11. DiGiKerot

DiGiKerot Registered

I kind of wonder how long it'll be before we see any significant effect, though. A lot of the bigger Manga releases, Dragonball and One Piece aside, are things which are arranged through sub-licensing titles which Funimation have picked multiple regions rights for. As long as the current contracts are in place, this probably means that a lot of fairly significant major titles will continue to go to Manga, even if some of their major staffers have moved on.

12. Shiroi Hane

Shiroi Hane Baka Ranger

Andrew has stated there was an angel investor involved. I believe it was the former founder of Kaze.

13. Hanners

As an extra note, Jerome has updated his LinkedIn profile since this morning with details of his new role:

14. TiggsPanther

TiggsPanther Registered

Hmmmmm. It's still hard to get a good read as to what they'll be doing. However, information is clearly starting to flow so I doubt it'll be too long.

15. Chrono

Chrono Legendary Devil Knight

Interesting! If they can get a few big licenses behind them, or even go for some of the older ones, then it can only be a good thing. If they can get Eva 3.33 out then I will just throw my money at them.

16. S.D. Hester

S.D. Hester Registered

Maybe that's what he meant by 'Angel' Investor.

;)

17. Necro

Necro Grim User

I kinda want the boxes to match so I wouldn't mind Manga holding onto Eva :p

18. latro

latro Anime Editor
    Staff Member

I strongly suspect Manga will have at least a gentlemans agreement that they get 3.33 and the fourth film.

19. Just Passing Through

I think whatever Manga has, Manga keeps, GITS obviously, Naruto, Bleach, Dragon Ball, One Piece, Yu-gi-oh, Fairy Tail, Evangelion and the like. It's the new licenses from the US that will be interesting to see develop, how many Funi/Sentai/Viz/Aniplex licenses head to Animatsu that normally would have gone to Manga. One thing I'm hoping for is NTSC DVDs, as Manga's parent company's insistence on PAL is a serious handicap.

20. DiGiKerot

DiGiKerot Registered

Pretty sure that 3.33 is a sublicense through Funimation, so it'll stay with Manga, as presumably will anything Funi picks up UK rights for up until the presently in-place local distribution deals Manga have with them expire.