FunimationNow streaming service to launch in the UK this February

Discussion in 'News' started by Hanners, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Hanners

Hanners Strawberry Sae forever

2. MrChom

MrChom Registered

About time, frankly. Now just give it a good interface, reasonably priced, and have as wide a selection as the US and we're grand.

3. Claw

Claw Registered

Fantastic. Funi shows were the only ones I ever had to watch in the sly, which I really hate doing. Hopefully, we'll get their full range of shows.

Not really looking so hot for Viewster right now, is it? Didn't they pick up quite a few Funi shows for their catalogue? Not to mention that they still have no subscription service, just that stupid box-o-stuff.

4. Hanners

Anime Limited haven't signed any new contracts with them for the winter season, and given their overwhelming focus on Omakase I think we can now count them out of the UK simulcast market.

5. MrChom

MrChom Registered

I did find it interesting that after really cosying up to them at first Mr Partridge has openly stated:

Viewster have also let one of their big UK exclusives drop in the form of Death Parade...I mean how do you let one of the best shows of 2015 drop before the year was even over!

6. Shiroi Hane

Shiroi Hane Baka Ranger

So.. on my phone I got the site, but the trial link landed me in CAPTCHA hell.
    On my work PC I can't even get the site:

7. acp

acp Registered

Yay, about time, too. :)

Hopefully they're not going to region-lock half the content to the US although I'm not holding my breath. I don't think I'll cancel my US-based proxy server just yet...

I also wonder whether my account on the current US site will be usable for the new UK site or if it'll be separate. Hopefully it's going to be like Crunchyroll where the account/payment/subscription isn't region specific and can be used from anywhere.

Still, it's a step in the right direction. Better official content availability is always a good thing in my book.

#7 acp, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  8. MrChom

MrChom Registered

Launching in February.

9. Shiroi Hane

Shiroi Hane Baka Ranger

The article says "You can read more about what the service will offer on the FunimationNow web site."

I can't. I'm now getting 403.

10. Hanners

You could reach it at the time the story was published, but it seems it's now been blocked from access to everybody. Guess they weren't quite ready to launch yet...

11. Shiroi Hane

Shiroi Hane Baka Ranger

Pity. I only had a chance to skim it. Anyone get screenshots?

--edit--

It's changed again now:

12. acp

acp Registered

If I visit it through my US proxy, the site itself hasn't changed, they've just region-blocked UK IP addresses from seeing it for some inexplicable reason.

Here's a full screenshot of the page:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19263966/funimationnow.png

No idea why they'd block the UK from seeing a page that announces they're going to support the UK. Logic, there.

13. latro

latro Anime Editor
    Staff Member

Well, I'll wait and see what the price is plus what the quality is like. And frankly I'll probably wait till May when the console app is supposedly out too.
    My main concern is wether Funi will ramp up the price to support these Simul-dubs they're doing - I want to support this kind of thing but I'm not really willing to pay extra for a presumably very costly feature I will never use!

14. Hanners

If it's anything like their current offering in the US, they have two tiers - one for sub-only access, and one for access to sub and dub versions of episodes, the latter of which is more expensive.

15. Shiroi Hane

Shiroi Hane Baka Ranger

Their signup page is working again for me now, and it details the tiers available for their current US offering:

http://www.funimation.com/p/subscribe?t=30

There's basically free with ads, a sub-only subscription without ads and all-in with dubs, extras and "store promotions".

16. Marshall2000_uk

Marshall2000_uk Registered

Sorry bit behind the times here. I'm excited about this but I'm trying not to be as I'm not sure how good it will be for me. I've been away for some time as I usually have a break from anime but right now I wanna watch some again and don't have time. So would really be no point in paying a monthly fee if I'm not gonna watch it and I'm a lot more picky these days, so the content will be key. Especially since I watch everything dubbed, the content won't be as much as subbed.

I'm hoping for shows that I didn't buy for whatever reason and still want to see. Time will tell I guess.

Anyways other factors people have said price & quality are also gonna be the deciding factors and also will be waiting for the console app, I'm not watching it on my iPad :)

17. Shiroi Hane

Shiroi Hane Baka Ranger

Something I wondered about recently but forgot to bring up online is that

a) FUNimation's new service is done in partnership with Sony
    b) Animax is run by Sony
    c) Animax carries a fair few FUNimation titles, including the current season we would expect to be on FUNimation's own service
    d) Jerome has talked about consolidation.

...I can wish can't I? If FUNimation Now has their whole available catalogue then I'm jumping ship quick sharp, but there are some non-FUNimation titles on Animax that it would be nice to still have.

18. Hanners

Don't forget, Sony is a many-headed beast. Funimation are partnering with Sony DADC New Media, which as I understand it is more of an infrastructure and video streaming technology thing, whereas the Animax brand is part of Sony Pictures.

19. Shiroi Hane

Shiroi Hane Baka Ranger

Lalala can't hear you

20. Marshall2000_uk

Marshall2000_uk Registered

Looks like it'll be the most expensive option for me as I like my dubs but at least we can get a free 30 day trial and see what's it's like. Just hoping there's plenty of content.

I'm not sure I'll bother with the simuldubs (is that what there called?) because I like to watch my shows all together and although I don't actually know, I'm guessing eps are only up for so long.