Crunchyroll has ONE UK license!

Discussion in 'News' started by latro, Jan 4, 2015.

1. latro

latro Anime Editor
    Staff Member

In the midst of CR and funi region-locking us out of everything worth seeing this season, Crunchyroll have finally announced one whole show that we are allowed to watch. As expected its Aldnoah.Zero 2.

They also have Kancolle but as its a Funi sub-license expect it to be available every BUT here.

2. magigreen

magigreen Registered

I'll get my pirate hat..

3. Shadow Cat

Shadow Cat HelloKittyIsMyWaifu

:pulls out treasure map:

Ey captin lets go sail the seven seas.

On a serious point. I don't care as long as the UK gets the Yuri show...

4. Weirdo

Weirdo UKA Editor in Chief
    Staff Member

Well, if this keeps up, thats going to be a lot of piracy.

5. Overlord Ramirez

Overlord Ramirez Edajima Heihachi's Pupil

well time to board the pirate ship again, or just change my Hola settings

6. megalomaniac

and a lot of cancelled Crunchy subs...

7. CrimsonScholar

CrimsonScholar Uka-no-Mitama-no-kami

Crunchyroll still has a nice back catalogue but yeah this is just ridiculous, there's no way in hell i'm missing out on some of the corkers this season.

8. gcar

gcar Registered

The thing that really bugs me is that Funimation get the rights for the UK with their shows but do nothing with them. It's the complete lack of any valid options that pushes people to alternate routes of getting them.

9. DiGiKerot

DiGiKerot Registered

If it was a Funi sub-license, it probably wouldn't be on Crunchy at all, unless they don't have the US either.

Unless you mean Sentai, but I don't think anyone has come clean about having licensed KanColle yet, and I kind of wonder if Sentai could even afford it.

It is all rather frustrating, though. I doubt its for lack of trying on Crunchys part, but one presumes that Funimation simply has more money to throw around right now. I do wonder if this increased focus on streaming titles on Funi's part is part of the "interesting times for the industry" that they've been hinting at on recent ANNCasts, but it is rather throwing us under the bus.

10. Tweek

Tweek Registered

I suppose this why Crunchy has had far fewer UK adverts lately; apart from the occasional advert for BBC3 I've been getting loads of US public service ads.

I'm glad last season included a few 26 episode series so I'll have something to watch.

11. Claw

Claw Registered

It's too early to be concerned yet, but since CR were acquired by [the name escapes my memory] they seem to have been steadily withdrawing their interest in foreign trade, as opposed to CR's previous big push on introducing localised currency payments and domains.

From a broad point of view I suppose this makes sense; in theory they have a lot of competition in the UK now for a tiny market. Not worth the effort. In practice, of course, the competition needs a serious kick up its arse because it’s not worth squat.

Anyway, where’s my parrot and eye patch?

12. TiggsPanther

TiggsPanther Registered

Chernin Group.

They certainly don't seem to have a great interest in the international markets at the moment, or at least an understanding of it. Their main idea of any sort of "deal" is based around their store. Which is bugger-all use to anyone outside of the US owing to shipping and customs charges which often cost more than the savings.

The problem is that they may well have a lot of competition. The "problem" (for us) is that in terms of their actual service, they beat the pans off the competition by a mile. Crunchyroll's only major UK failure is down to licensing restrictions, not down to how their service actually works.

13. Claw

Claw Registered

Exactly.

All The Anime in streaming terms has gone from disaster to disaster, probably because they have no idea what they are doing and have been depending on people who could care less (Waka) and Animax is a weird afterthought that seems to be run by particularly lazy robots rather than actual humans; a lot of potential there but no action in terms of marketing or service improvements.

I dont know whats going on with Netflix picking up so many catalogue series but personally, Im not a big fan of the way they display subs so its a no-go for me even if I hadnt seen them. Pity that Lovefilm/Amazon has no interest in anime, as their service is superior in all ways but content usually.

CR may have pretty awful service when youre not in the States, but no one can fault the actual implementation of their service on a day-to-day basis. Provided they get the licenses. Which they apparently wont. Sigh.

On a related noted, I really would like to know about Funi. Why do they pick up UK licenses and never use them? Is it like a package deal? Did they have a service that tanked or something? I just dont get them. It seems like burning money.

14. Hanners

Hanners Strawberry Sae forever

They tend to pick up UK rights to sub-license - on home video that means Manga Entertainment gets first pick of any FUNimation shows to which they have UK rights, but in streaming terms its traditionally meant that those shows fall into a black hole.

That looked to have changed last year with Animax UK agreeing on a deal to bring FUNimation's content to their platform, but that seemed to go silent for the autumn season for reasons I'm not privy to, so nobody is sure what that means for the winter line-up.

15. TiggsPanther

TiggsPanther Registered

To be fair to Anime Limited, they're being let down by streaming partners rather than really being at fault themselves.

Wakanim are doing something relatively new to the UK market, and haven't really put a lot of effort into the UK side of things. Apparently they are making some improvements... although I anxiously await to see them in action.

Animax are Animax. Backed by Sony, which actually seems to be more of a hindrance than a help. having some big money behind them means their success is less immediately reliant on success with customers than might otherwise be the case. They don't seek to be in any real hurry to improve. Their progress, although real, is glacially slow.

Both Anime Limited and Manga have had success getting things onto Netflix. Andrew from Anime limited has said, in the past, that he has nothing against getting things onto Amazon but there seems to be some issue around getting them to talk.

CR airing shows, even ones they have elsewhere, in regions that someone else picks up the rights always seems to be a crapshoot. Sometimes we get them, sometimes we don't. I guess it all depends on all sides coming to n agreement. Especially depending on how much extra CR would have to pay to show it over here in addition to what they are already paying directly, and whether they feel it is worth the cost.

As for Funimation, as far as I can tell, they tend to pick up Physical+Streaming rights that include the UK. They have a working UK partner for physical releases, in the form of Manga UK but they do not have a real streaming presence of their own over here.
    As the strongest Anime simulcasting service with a UK presence is Crunchyroll (who are a competitor in the US space), this can be the kiss-of-death to UK simulcasting hopes for many shows.

16. Shadow Cat

Shadow Cat HelloKittyIsMyWaifu

Bring back Anime Online with an option to pay and all will be fine

17. Shiroi Hane

Shiroi Hane Baka Ranger

Who?

18. latro

latro Anime Editor
    Staff Member

Hold onto your hats boys and girls we now have 2 thats right 2 whole licenses for the UK as we're now getting Cute High Earth Defense Force. Which is better than nothing I suppose.....

19. Shiroi Hane

Shiroi Hane Baka Ranger

There's only been a few times when there's been any sort of co-operation between Crunchyroll and FUNimation - e.g. when they kept up the first couple of episodes of Asobi ni Ikuyo in FUNimation's regions and when they removed Attack on Titan temporarily when FUNimation started releasing it. FUNimation don't sub-license to Crunchyroll - if it is on both you can almost guarantee that Crunchyroll's coverage will be missing FUNi's usual region package (US, Canada, UK, Ireland, UK, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa); this is the case for Yurikuma and Absolute Duo! this season (there have been cases where both ended up streaming a show independently, like Sora no Otoshimono Forte).

Those are... all guys in that key image, aren't they.

#19 Shiroi Hane, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  20. Hanners

Hanners Strawberry Sae forever

I'm pretty sure one of them is a wombat... ;) (Although probably a male wombat, admittedly)