Ben-To, Good Luck Girl and Fairy Tail relegated to DVD-only UK releases

Discussion in 'News' started by Hanners, Dec 2, 2014.

1. skippy

skippy Registered

Tony has always and I hope will do so for many years to come been the savour of us mere fans, especially now with the Manga "troubles". I would never criticize MVM for a decision based on format, Tony has always reinvested in new licenses even during the dark times of 10 or so years ago, when nothing much was released. I just wish the other companies could operate so well (looks at Manga and Anime limited)
    I'm sorry for the rant but it sickens me to hears things like what Ross referred to.

2. Shiroi Hane

Shiroi Hane Baka Ranger

I saw it more a case of there being BD masters they could clone but no extant PAL DVD masters.

3. TiggsPanther

TiggsPanther Registered

That seems especially strange. As they would be going out of their way to support the older format whilst passing by the chance to use existing BDs masters.

Unless they weren't able to use them or wanted to create their own, for whatever reasons.
    I wonder if there was anything they anted/needed to exclude (maybe extras) for BBFC purposes? Or something similar that would require self-authoring.

4. Shadow Cat

Shadow Cat HelloKittyIsMyWaifu

Clearly to troll the UK with broken chapter makers.

I can't wait to see if I'm right on this one

----

On a side note, I wouldn't mind a BR for Ben-To now :/

#24 Shadow Cat, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  5. TiggsPanther

TiggsPanther Registered

It seems these days that every time the UK anime industry take a positive step towards Blu-Ray availability, it then takes a step backwards shortly after. It is quite upsetting as I really want to support the UK industry but I also only buy Blu-Rays. And it sucks when I can only support either my format of choice or the local companies.

It can also be rather disheartening when your choice of format to watch (chosen because of clear advantages) can lead to the feeling of "not counting" as a customer.
    Especially in cases like this, and Another and FMA:B (prior to reversal), Haruhi and Xam'd (still no change) where a title was announced as BD and then gets demoted.

6. skippy

skippy Registered

What I find even more scary about this decision is the problems Manga have infliicted on us with their DVD authoring recently, I haven't bought a UK Manga title in ages but the horror stories I've heard about Devil is a part timer and Battle of the gods beggars belief. I know the decision to stick with PAL isn't Mangas but in this day and age, when everybody can watch an NTSC disc, why continue to muck up when it isn't necessary. Even when there is a BD release you could just port, change the region and repackage, no mess, no fuss, no screw ups there. Dumb, just dumb

7. Necro

Necro Grim User

I'm still bitter about the film :p

8. TiggsPanther

TiggsPanther Registered

re: Haruhi
    That came out before I really got back into Anime fandom and buying stuff again. So I wasn't as invested in it at the time.

However, as it was Blu-ray's quality that got be back into watching much anime at all, it is one of the titles I regret not being able to pick up because of the whole format thing.

9. Shadow Cat

I'm trying to remember if that was "we can't release it as it doesn't work on PS3"

---------------

As for myself, I've pretty much done a 180 and on the

team, I really won't buy DVD's if bluray is available, and have recently been selling a few of my favorites to rebuy on Bluray.

Although I will buy DVD if its a 100% Must Buy and hasn't got a Bluray release in any other region (Nichijou is a good example)

10. TiggsPanther

TiggsPanther Registered

This is where we hit the less emotional and more practical reason why I basically avoid DVD as a format for new purchases.

Between Anime and live-action properties, I have at least ten titles (some of which are series) that I have replaced by DVDs wih the Blu-Ray versions.

And of my remaining DVDs, anything I am likely to watch again I either actively plan to reaplce with a BD or don't want to double-dip any time soon but if given the choice again would have bought on Blu-Ray.

So, basically my DVd collection is sort of my "I wish I had these titles on Blu-Ray collection".
    As such, I feel no need to add to it. As I'd only end up regretting the DVD version one at or another before too long.

And seeing that a lot of newer titles do end up with a Blu-Ray version anyway, even if they start off DVd-only in all English-speaking territories.
    Between Australia being Region B and my HTPC now acting as a Region A player, settling for a DVD never makes sense anymore.

11. Necro

Necro Grim User

Yep, that's the one.

12. demon

demon Registered

And it was a load of bull since someone purchased the Australian BD version which did play in a UK PS3.

13. JonLaidlow

JonLaidlow Registered

Haruhi! Thanks for reminding me - I got it from Oz when it came out, tested it in the PS3 (my only blu ray player) and then forgot to watch it! Was bummed out after Endless Eight.

14. Hanners

Hanners Strawberry Sae forever

Just thought I'd bump this thread to note that all major retailers are showing Fairy Tail Part 9 with only a single SKU and no Blu-ray in sight - I think it's now fair to assume that our initial report was indeed correct, and that this series will be DVD-only from this point forth.

15. gcar

gcar Registered

I noticed that myself. It is pretty disappointing especially as i have the rest of the series on bluray. Don't personally see me getting the DVD releases, much more likely to get a region A player and import than that.

16. Shiroi Hane

Shiroi Hane Baka Ranger

While the BD for Collection 3 is still available to order from Amazon, I note that the BVA site only lists DVDs for both Part 9 and Collection 3:

17. demon

demon Registered

Someone over on AUKN has noted that Samurai Bride has also been relegated to a DVD only release according to information they have found, so it looks like all their releases are now DVD only and that manga is slowly falling down the plughole to it's impending doom.

18. Shadow Cat

If thats the case then yeh... No more Manga UK it seems

Or someones looked at figures and said "Well, Bluray isn't making money, lets go DVD only"

Either way.. I hope they pull out of the hole otherwise we will loose a pretty important co'

19. megalomaniac

If they're going DVD only I won't be buying Manga UK releases any more, simples. Not that I was likely to anyway after all the recent QA problems.

20. Shiroi Hane

Shiroi Hane Baka Ranger

The Samurai Bride BD is still available to pre-order on Amazon, but again only the DVD is registered with the BVA.

I fail to remember how long it was before Amazon eventually gave up and cancelled my Karas BD pre-order....