Ben-To, Good Luck Girl and Fairy Tail relegated to DVD-only UK releases

Discussion in 'News' started by Hanners, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Hanners

Hanners Strawberry Sae forever

2. Robert Frazer

Robert Frazer Registered

Eh, I'm not too bothered by this announcement. They're two fanservicey romcoms and a kid's shonen - they're not hires visual shows, none of them really need to be on Blu-Ray. I'll take the lower price.

3. Hanners

I think in the case of Good Luck Girl and Ben-To it's more what this change represents - this was due to be a grand experiment to test the waters of the UK market and see if it might support Blu-ray only releases.

Now that experiment is dead, and what could have brought about a promising new future for anime on home video is, for the time being, dead with it.

Fairy Tail's case is more understandable - I suspect it simply isn't selling on Blu-ray, given people's proclivity to grab the region-free import BD editions from the US rather than wait what has always seemed like a long time to get hold of the UK releases of the show.

4. Just Passing Through

Of course now the problem is that Manga probably whinged to Funimation that this was happening, and Funimation have started locking Fairy Tail to A.

5. S.D. Hester

S.D. Hester Registered

Grab an easy to crack Blu Ray Player and that isn't even a problem really.

I think the problem stems from the small number of BR Releases in Anime over here, which let's be honest is a pretty niche market at the best of times, coupled with the fact DVDs are dirt cheap to duplicate on a mass scale, BRs not so much.

It doesn't really bother me too much, I only went BR last Year after my old DVD Player packed in, so most of the ongoing titles I started buying on DVD like Fairy Tale I've continued to buy on DVD, only newer ones are getting BR purchases.

6. megalomaniac

I'm guessing this is the first fallout from the Jerome exodus. A really horrible backward step, going DVD only in 2014 is a lot like deciding to go VHS only in 2004 or Betamax only in 1984...

7. TiggsPanther

TiggsPanther Registered

r

The other problem with Fairy Taily is how long it look the, to get around to BDs.

In my case, I have the first collection..... that is it.
    By the time I could finally watch the show,mai had other things to watch.,I've seen one episode so far but have other shows and a CR subscription I just didn't have earlier.

By waiting too long, Manga killed any momentum I had in keeping my interest in the show going. And Imdoubt I'm the only one. Between people importing, people starting with (and sticking to) the DVds and people just losing interest in favour of other shows, Manga let the BD buying market for this title drift away elsewhere.

Of course, they see if as "BDs don't sell", when it really is more that BDs have a very short window to hook in the audience.

The thing that really worries me, though, is the effect this will have on the UK market.
    With Manga and MVM now both erring towards DVDs and Anime Limited concentrating on the collector market in the first instance, nobody seems to be catering for affordable Blu-Rays.

8. happosai

happosai =(^;^)=

Hardly...everyone who owns a BD player has the capability of playing DVDs (and far more people have the capability of playing DVDs than BDs).

[Happosai]

9. megalomaniac

That was not meant to be taken literally, and since when does "a lot like" mean "exactly like"?. :p

10. gcar

gcar Registered

I suspect they are stopping selling the Fairy Tail collections on bluray cos they didn't sell well which really isn't surprising given how long they waited to release them after selling the DVD collections. I would assume most people at that stage either had the individual sets, the DVD collections or imported the collections. Personally i'm just glad they are still selling the individual sets on bluray

11. Necro

Necro Grim User

I assume some people are like me where they're not really willing to buy DVDs anymore as there is always a HD copy available. By getting rid of blu-ray releases, they're also getting rid of DVD sales as I wont buy them. Admittedly they can't really win at this point with me; if they release a blu-ray it doesn't sell well, and if they release a DVD they don't get my money.

Shame really.

12. TiggsPanther

TiggsPanther Registered

The problem is that there as well as the people who have no interest in Blu-rays at all, there are multiple categories of people who do like Blu-rays.

Some will go for a BD either for a specific show or if there is a good deal. As a general rule they aren't fussed about the extra quality but may make an exception every once in a while.
    These people obviously don't mind DVD-only releases. They would also, if grudgingly, probably buy a Blu-ray only release. but it certainly wouldn't be their first choice of format.

Then there are those who prefer Blu-rays but will settle for a DVD either to save a few quid (as the exception not, as the group above, the rule) or if no BD version is available.
    By the very description, these people are OK with DVD-only purchases. They may be a bit more upset about certain titles but are still likely to buy a DVD if that's the only way to get a copy.

Then there are those like Necro and myself. Unlikely to buy a DVD of anything, except maybe some old favourite pre-HD properties.
    No Blu-ray means no sale. DVD simply isn't an option.

I guess it then gets tricky trying to figure this all out. A DVD will sell well given a DVD-only or dual-format release. Dual format will obviously sell both, but there are some who will choose the DVD over the BD and maybe tip the sales figures against the latter format.
    And although going BD-only (or BD-first) would be an interesting experiment - or force people to adopt the new format - it's a big risk for companies like Manga or MVM who know that the DVDs will sell and don't really want to jeopardise a sure thing.

I also wonder what the additional overhead is for producing, packaging, shipping and selling-to-retail two formats of the one title?

13. happosai

happosai =(^;^)=

I'm aware that you didn't mean it exactly, but I don't think it is at all comparable with the VHS/Betamax format wars (which is more comparable with BD/HD DVD) or VHS to DVD transition.

Going DVD only in 2014 can make sound financial sense for a niche product in a market where physical releases are losing ground to digital releases, DVD still outsells BD, and most people have the ability to play DVDs.

[Happosai]

14. megalomaniac

*sigh* That was in no way a comparison between format wars, simply a facetious comment highlighting MangaUK's retreat into a geriatric format. Beta was on the way out in '84, as was VHS in '04 as is DVD in '14. But you carry on, in no way does such pedantry suck the fun out of anything. :rolleyes:

15. Hanners

Does it though for anime in late 2014? Blu-ray outsold DVD for a number of high profile releases over the past year - Attack on Titan (most notably, perhaps), Girls und Panzer, Monogatari, Toradora, and doubtless others that I'm not directly aware of.

Sure, Blu-ray isn't a smart choice for every release, nor will it always outstrip DVD in terms of sales, but the "Blu-ray doesn't sell well" argument is largely simply not true these days from what I'm hearing - in many ways, the bigger issue is more down to series that don't sell well at all, at which point the hit from Blu-ray becomes less palatable.

16. megalomaniac

That's extremely interesting given MVM's prior lack of enthusiasm for the format, especially after the long and winding road to GuP on Blu-ray.

AoT perhaps less so as we know that crossed over to a more mainstream audience and Blu-ray has outsold DVD for a long time now on more mainstream releases.

17. TiggsPanther

TiggsPanther Registered

I think this is where some of the real problems start to rear up. between the size of the market and BBFC fees (BTW, are these per-format?) i can see some of the more niche titles being a hard sell for dual format.
    And if a release can only support one format to remain profitable, it makes most sense to release on the format that everyone can play.

It then just bumps into the issue of the niche titles probably appealing more to the people who are more likely to have invested in the kit.
    Al;though many of those have likely imported, so they're reliant on the casuals. At which point... DVD makes more sense?

And I guess this is the reason why I tend to hate shows being DVD-only. As it does imply a certain lack of faith form the distributor in the profitability of a license.
    As if they don't take the risk, do they really believe in the title? (May or not be the case, but is how it can come over)

18. happosai

happosai =(^;^)=

I was talking generally, rather than specifically about UK anime sales (as I don't have ready access to any figures for that).

BD isn't selling poorly in comparison to DVD (averages about half the total sales), but certainly hasn't killed DVD, and both formats are starting to see sales eroded by digital streaming/DTO.

I'd be interested to know by how much the BD versions of the titles mentioned above outsold the DVD versions.

[Happosai]

19. happosai

happosai =(^;^)=

You only have to pay the BBFC once to certify content for home release, regardless of whether you release it on DVD, BD or both formats.

However, since 1 October, an amendment to the Video Recordings Act came in that requires 'extras', which were previously exempt, to be certified, which increases the cost of including extras on any format release, even more so for a BD release that include more extras than the DVD release.

[Happosai]

20. Acteon

Acteon Behind you...

I can categorically tell you that DVD outsells BD for MVM by a ratio of 10-1 (with 1 or 2 very rare exceptions). I don't know about the wider market, but when we had a competition for Toradora through the site, almost nobody asked for the BD version.

I prefer anime on BD. MVM likes to put out BD and support the market, but only a few months ago I was fending off some rabid BD fanatic who told us we didn't "deserve" to sell anime and should let someone else take the licenses. MVM could cut BD altogether and it wouldn't hurt them one bit financially. I really don't think Tony gets the credit he deserves for constantly taking a gamble on the UK market with BD releases.