Animatsu Entertainment announces first license, sales and marketing deal with Manga

Discussion in 'News' started by Hanners, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Hanners

Hanners Strawberry Sae forever

2. Weirdo

Weirdo UKA Editor in Chief
    Staff Member

Well, I am happy that they have finally launched, and hope they pay heed to our ongoing issues in the UK as of the awards podcast!

3. megalomaniac

What he said ^. If by "key back-end services" they mean mastering then I just lost all hope for what Animatsu might bring to the table.

4. TiggsPanther

TiggsPanther Registered

It's interesting news, certainly. And it's nice to finally have some confirmation of what's going on.

Manga, clearly, will get the benefit of having marketing and brand management handled by people who know the industry and the company.

From Animatsu's side, it is interesting to see how things will turn out. Manga handling the "sales and distribution" sounds very much like what Kaze use(d) them for. Only, in this case, it's a company that actually operates in the Uk and seems to actually give a damn about the market and fans, unlike Kaze.
    As for the question about mastering, I'd going to keep an open mind for the moment. For one, they may well be doing the same thing as Kaze does and get them authored and mastered themselves and just send them to Manga for distribution. Only, hopefully, with better authoring. For another, even if they use Manga to create the discs they may possibly have more influence (and budget control) of getting a good job done.

It's also interesting in that in some ways things will almost be "same as always" from Manga's perspective. But Jerome and Andrew now have the opportunity to get the kind of titles that Manga either couldn't (like A Certain set of titles) or wouldn't (demographic concerns) pick up.

Also, them picking up some Sentai titles isn't a bad thing. There are only so many that MVM can release, certainly in one go, so having another UK company helping get some of Sentai's pickups over here is a positive thing. Hopefully.

5. CrimsonScholar

CrimsonScholar Uka-no-Mitama-no-kami

I'm guessing Blade and Soul was probably a package deal because that's the only reason i can fathom anyone picking that up.

Hopefully this wont cause to much problems for MVM, as Tiggs said there only so much that can be released so hopefully shows that have fallen through the crack over the years have a better chance of getting a release now.

Id like to spend less of my money on imports if possible.

6. Shiroi Hane

Shiroi Hane Baka Ranger

Basically, it's business as usual but with less interference from Starz (except, presumably, for manga's sub-licenses from FUNimation)

7. skippy

skippy Registered

can't see authoring being a problem they'll probably just do as Hanabee do in Australia, just change the region code on the disks and add a BBFC certificate, job done, Now they won't be held back by not doing PAL, NTSC is viable in this day and age. So just port the US disks and change a cople of things. Simples

8. latro

latro Anime Editor
    Staff Member

Good to see them up and running with some reasonably new licenses though to be honest I wouldn't expect any of them to be particularly high sellers with only Blade and Soul likely to have any pull with the general public and even then not much. Hopefully the other 5 will be bigger.

9. KarenORO

KarenORO Pictures. Pictures of Dio

Good news to finally here something official about this. Not any licenses I'm really excited about but I'll wait and see what else they have to announce.

10. Eye on Asia

Eye on Asia Registered

I think this is essentially the winding up of Manga Entertainment. By the end of the year I don't think the Manga brand will exist and that all of their key licenses such as Naruto and Fairy Tail will have been taken over animatsu. It will be interesting to see how the future of Bleach fares in the UK as the production is now done by Kaze and I don't see animatsu rushing to sign up with Kaze too soon.

This has probably been a long time in the planning and it wouldn't surprise me if the Manga - animatsu relationship was planned from the very start. I suspect the reason we had so many people leave Manga Entertainment so close together was likely to the fact that they were being made redundant rather than choosing to abandon ship.

It would be shame to completely lose the Manga brand as it is one of the oldest anime brands in the UK even though as a brand it was need of being modernised but we will have to wait and see what the future holds for animatsu. I imagine them being a little more liberal in the selection of licenses they get without having to worry about parent companies looking over their shoulder.

11. Hanners

I would expect Chaika to do pretty well for them, there's a pretty solid buzz around that series.

This is categorically not correct - I'm sure there's a lot left unsaid and untold, but there certainly weren't any redundancies, and as far as I'm aware Manga Entertainment continues to be one of the better performing areas of Anchor Bay. I don't expect to see them going anywhere, the only real question is whether this is a case of "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" in terms of the role and sway that Jerome holds over the direction of Manga Entertainment themselves, as he may have the presence and force to reverse some of the disastrous decisions which have been made since his departure.

12. KarenORO

KarenORO Pictures. Pictures of Dio

If this wasn't going to give Jerome and co. more control over the direction of things then I doubt they'd have done this.

13. Shiroi Hane

Shiroi Hane Baka Ranger

Mining my list of known (or reasonable assumed) titles that Sentai already has UK rights for, making them candidates for their deal:

Henneko
    Hiiro no Kakera (S2 at least)
    Little Busters
    Majestic Prince
    Nadia
    Nakaimo

Any title that is licensed by Sentai and also streaming to the UK on Crunchroll is a potential candidate, but these have more concrete proof (like a UK iTunes listing or company statement).

14. Elliotpage

Elliotpage Lazy Podcast Lord

No! Nooooooooooooooooo!

15. Hanners

What's that? You want me to put you down to receive the review discs? :twisted:

Of that list, I certainly know that Little Busters has been offered around to UK distributors.

16. TiggsPanther

TiggsPanther Registered

It wasn't that bad.

I won't say I'm in any particular hurry to import it. But I'd probably pick up a UK BD and give it a rewatch at some point if it came out here.

There are definitely shows (especially Sentai Filmworks ones) that are much, much higher on my must-own list, though.

17. MrLaserSharkKH

MrLaserSharkKH Don't take me home...

Based on what has been said by those involved and other distributors, I would not be surprised that at least one of the titles to come are either Gatchaman Crowds, Majestic Prince or Captain Earth.

If they can get any one or more of: Hidamari Sketch, KINMOZA!, Love Lab, Non Non Biyori or Is the Order a Rabbit? then I will Squee like never before! :D

#17 MrLaserSharkKH, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  18. TiggsPanther

TiggsPanther Registered

As I don't think i've seen any other UK distro having announced it, I'd love if they got The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. (Want, want, want!)

Other Sentai pickups I enjoyed on CR I hope they bring over here include Henneko, Papakiki and So I Can't Play H.

The other interesting factor will be Animatsu's attitude towards Blu-ray. Especially as they are clearly OK sublicensing from Sentai Filmworks.
    This, if anything, could be where it starts it affect MVM. Up until now, a Sentai pickup was almost an "MVM or nothing" outcome. It could be very interesting if MVM end up having pretty direct competition from a distributor who is quicker to embrace Blu-ray as a distribution format.

As to how any of this turns out, though, is anyone's guess at this point.

19. megalomaniac

How would we know? The deafening sound of Hanners squeeing would drown out all others! :cool:

20. CrimsonScholar

CrimsonScholar Uka-no-Mitama-no-kami

YES please!

Add The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior, Humanity Has Declined and Haikyuu to name a few and i will join you in your excitement (minus the squee of course). :)