|
|
|
|
|
|
|
UK Anime Network
Main Site Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   UK Anime Forums > General > Other media

Other media Films/TV/Music of a non-Japanese variety

Old 21-02-2015, 05:18 PM   #271
Overlord Ramirez
Edajima Heihachi's Pupil

continuing by walk through Brian Sandersons works so far and currently on Book 2 of the Stromlight Archive titled Words of Radiance, I can't think of anyone at moment that can create worlds that have such interesting magic(or Powers) systems.
My Anime List My Twitter
Overlord Ramirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 06:02 PM   #272
Weirdo
UKA Catgirl Correspondant

Have recently finished "The House on Hydrogen Hill" by Peter Truckel.

It was wonderful. Its been a while since I have seen quite so much nerd pandering, dwarf, nazi and other quite crude jokes in a book, whilst maintaining a good plot line, as bizarre as it was.

This one sentence, however, had me in absolute stitches for about an hour...

Quote:
Unsurprisingly, none had ever seen an angry, time-travelling, naked, skinhead dwarf, covered in shit, with tattoos of swastikas on his biceps, hate tattooed on both sets of knuckles and a penis that was over two feet long.

The minister for the interior finally managed to speed. "Dear God," he said in an awed whisper, starting open-mouthed at Erwin, "What on earth must that look like with a woody?"
Old 09-03-2015, 11:43 AM   #273
-Danielle-
Whore dollas all over the place...

I went and ordered 3 books off Amazon last night. I haven't read these sorts of books for a while now. The last I can remember being Room, Before I Go To Sleep and Me Before You (the latter of which I adore and cried my eyes out at!!!). So yeah I ordered:

The Husbands Secret
Before We Met
Until You're Mine

I really wanted to get The Girl On The Train but it's still not in the price range I want for which these 3 were; a tenner for all brand new.
-Danielle- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 04:10 PM   #274
Rivienne
Registered

I recently read Girl in the Dark by Anna Lyndsey. Interesting, astonishing and beautiful in its simplicity.
Rivienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 10:33 AM   #275
Hououin_Jouma
Kyouki no MAD SCIENTIST

Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. They say that almost everyone in Japan has read it. I can see why. It's simpler than the other, later Murakami work I've read (the 1Q84 trilogy), but deals with the same themes of nostalgia and separation. Within five pages I had a tear in my eye, and towards the end I hurled the book across the room in grief! Very highly recommended to anyone. The tone reminds me of a Key visual novel/anime like Clannad.

Oh! But don't assume the film is a fair substitute for the book. It omits massive stretches of character development, but decides to keep some of the unnecessary subplots. It's a huge mess, and does the subtlety of the book no justice at all. It could have worked as a TV drama, but a two-hour film wasn't nearly enough.
Hououin_Jouma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 11:16 AM   #276
-Danielle-
Whore dollas all over the place...

Reading After You. Lovely book but Me Before You is still the stronger of the two.
-Danielle- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:46 PM   #277
Kadngi
Registered

I'm actually reading a few books at the moment; Time of Contempt by Andrzej Sapkowski, Shogun by James Clavell and A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan.
Kadngi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:02 PM   #278
Cell
GORDON PUNCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hououin_Jouma View Post
Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. They say that almost everyone in Japan has read it. I can see why. It's simpler than the other, later Murakami work I've read (the 1Q84 trilogy), but deals with the same themes of nostalgia and separation. Within five pages I had a tear in my eye, and towards the end I hurled the book across the room in grief! Very highly recommended to anyone. The tone reminds me of a Key visual novel/anime like Clannad.

Oh! But don't assume the film is a fair substitute for the book. It omits massive stretches of character development, but decides to keep some of the unnecessary subplots. It's a huge mess, and does the subtlety of the book no justice at all. It could have worked as a TV drama, but a two-hour film wasn't nearly enough.
Norwegian Wood is pretty much an average dude picking between two different types of crazy and being drawn more towards the super crazy one for a long time. I enjoyed it, as with most of

Currently reading Last of the Breed by Louis D'Amour. It's about a native Indian pilot shot down near Russia and is on the run from the KGB and the prison commander who shot him down to obtain information regarding prototype US planes.

Really good book about a wild man taking on both his hunters and the bitter Siberian winter.
Cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:22 PM   #279
rjessop
Registered

Recently I've been listening to audiobooks as I've been walking a lot. So I've gotten through:
Waking Up - a book about, for want of a better word, spirituality - Sam Harris
Islam and the Future of Tolerance - a dialog about reform in Islam - Maajid Nawaz & Sam Harris
ISIS: Inside the Army of Terror - an exploration of the history and makeup of what now calls itself The Islamic State - Michael Weiss & Hassan Hassan
Chasing the Scream - a book about the war on drugs - Johann Hari
So You've Been Publicly Shamed - about social media shamings - Jon Ronson
Get It Together: We Deserve Better Politics - a polemic about the current state of the British political establishment and what can be done about it - Zoe Williams

The one I've currently got in progress is The Way of the Runner by Adharanand Finn (he also wrote Running with the Kenyans) which is about Japan's professional and amateur running culture. It's focus is one of Japan's biggest sporting obsessions (alongside baseball and golf), a long distance relay race called ekiden. One of these, the Hakone ekiden, is a two-day event that draws millions of viewers every January. There doesn't seem to be an anime about ekiden (that I could find with a cursory google) which is a little surprising given how popular the actual sport seems to be.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:05 PM   #280
Cell
GORDON PUNCH

Heart of Darkness

Much like Apocalypse Now, found it decent but overrated.
Old 13-06-2016, 10:19 AM   #281
duoinchains
t'other resident yaoi fan

Chieftans

1980s Cold-war/start of WWIII novel about the crew of a British Army Cheiftan tank, written by someone who had been there, done that, so the detail comes over very convincingly. Cohesive and plausible plot and fast pacing held my attention, though the very abrupt ending* caught me by surprise and left the whole 'well... who won?!?!?' question hanging.

*abrupt, but not entirely unexpected Soviet response to the Allies effectively delaying/bogging down the Red Army advance into Germany enough to allow reinforcements from the US to arrive. (7 days to the Rhine/Fulda Gap/North German Plain/etc)
Roses are #FF0000, Violets are #0000FF, All my base, Are belong to you ^_^ My Anime and Manga Lists
duoinchains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 06:38 PM   #282
megalomaniac
「遊びは終わりだ」

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjessop View Post
Islam and the Future of Tolerance - a dialog about reform in Islam - Maajid Nawaz & Sam Harris
ISIS: Inside the Army of Terror - an exploration of the history and makeup of what now calls itself The Islamic State - Michael Weiss & Hassan Hassan
Chasing the Scream - a book about the war on drugs - Johann Hari
So You've Been Publicly Shamed - about social media shamings - Jon Ronson
Get It Together: We Deserve Better Politics - a polemic about the current state of the British political establishment and what can be done about it - Zoe Williams
You realise you're now on a watch list... Well, that's assuming you weren't before of course. Either way you are now, good to know I'm not the only one at least... Well apart from Seb, but that's for entirely different reasons
Old 13-06-2016, 08:23 PM   #283
rjessop
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalomaniac View Post
You realise you're now on a watch list... Well, that's assuming you weren't before of course. Either way you are now, good to know I'm not the only one at least... Well apart from Seb, but that's for entirely different reasons
Pretty confident that they don't put you on watchlists for buying New York Times' bestsellers. The list would be too long to watch.
Old 22-06-2016, 07:44 PM   #284
Jinjer
Registered

spotted a good copy of guards! guards! in a bargain store lately, so i decided to read while commuting

also finding it weird that i'm almost always the only one holding a book these days while everyone else has a phone to check on...

but in any case, really loving the novel
Jinjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 11:03 AM   #285
Cell
GORDON PUNCH

Thousand Cranes

Short Japanese story about a man drawn to the lover of his dead father. Poignant.