|
|
|
|
|
|
|
UK Anime Network
Main Site Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   UK Anime Forums > General > Other media

Other media Films/TV/Music of a non-Japanese variety

Old 13-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #241
Phantom Miria
Registered

If anyone is a fan of Dystopian/Fantasy Adventures, Jasper Fforde is one of the more under-rated varieties.

Thursday Next, The Nursary Crime, Shades of Grey and The Last Dragonslayer are all great books from him,

Personally, I would recommend Shades of Grey due to how everyone lives in that world, but if you want something more Action like, Thursday Next is the one to go for, but be warned that the first four books are of the main Thursday Next, whereas the latter three or four books are about a fictional Thursday Next (you'll understand once you finish the second book).
Phantom Miria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #242
Weirdo
UKA Catgirl Correspondant

Had a bit of a fun couple of weeks losing myself to my kindle on my sofa while diving into a world driven to the verge of extinction thanks to a transgenic virus which turns living organisms into chimeric aliens.

Oh, and the best way to defend yourself is to have fire, and a cat handy.

Michael Hicks' Harvest Trilogy. Book 1 is free on kindle and the rest are a few quid.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Season-The-H...arvest+trilogy

Oh, and its full of quite useful information on genetics, guns, and military hardware. The chap definitely did his research
Old 15-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #243
Martin
guitaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
Had a bit of a fun couple of weeks losing myself to my kindle on my sofa while diving into a world driven to the verge of extinction thanks to a transgenic virus which turns living organisms into chimeric aliens.

Michael Hicks' Harvest Trilogy. Book 1 is free on kindle and the rest are a few quid.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Season-The-H...arvest+trilogy

Oh, and its full of quite useful information on genetics, guns, and military hardware. The chap definitely did his research
SOLD.

I need a Kindle!
Old 16-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #244
rjessop
Registered

Quote:
Useful? Are you planning some sort of insurrection?

I read Ha-Joon Chang's 23 Things They Don't Tell You About Capitalism. For an economics book it's very accessible as well as being interesting and fun. Currently reading Faisal Islam's Default Line.
Old 20-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #245
Phantom Miria
Registered

Quote:

The first part read like Metroid Fusion....then I saw how the plot changed in part 2. :XD:

For those who want a Kindle, just download the PC App for it!
Old 07-02-2014, 01:58 PM   #246
Ampharos
Subs Before Dubs

The Daylight War by Peter V Brett

I love this series alot and have read it a few times over. The worlds inhabitants are plagued by the attacks of demons known as corelings, which rise from the planet's core each night to feast upon humans. There are many different kinds of corelings, each associated with a type of element and each with different capabilities and strengths (e.g. fire, sand, wood, water etc).

The only defense against the corelings are wards that can be drawn, painted, or inscribed to form protective barriers around human settlements. These are, however, fragile and prone to failure unless maintained/fixed.

I am reading the 3rd book at the moment but look forwards to the 4th book that is rumored to come out next year.

Twitter
Ampharos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:07 PM   #247
Overlord Ramirez
Edajima Heihachi's Pupil

after a very long time I have finally reached the end of the Wheel of Time series and I'm about 1/4 of the way through the last book of this 14 book epic, lets see if Rand "Jesus" Al Thor can save the world
My Anime List My Twitter
Overlord Ramirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 12:54 PM   #248
Phantom Miria
Registered

Can't wait for the paperback of the final The Last Dragonslayer book, however Fforde tends to change his book titles from the announcement to the reveal all the time.

It was "The Mighty Shandar" but now it's called something else entirely! D:

Why am I whining? Well....he adds the prototype name at the end of his books.

He also NEVER has a "Chapter 13" due to suspicions, so you get a 12 to 14.
Old 23-04-2014, 07:19 AM   #249
solojudei
Registered

I've started reading Why Didn't They Ask Evans? by Agatha Christie. In so far, I'm loving it!
"I may not be making millions of dollars and I may not have thousands of nubile if uncritical young women lusting for my body but I've got something you haven't...this small piece of coal" - George Stobbart, Broken Sword
solojudei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 10:18 PM   #250
rjessop
Registered

Off the back of a great edition of the Little Atoms podcast I picked up Natalie Haynes' The Amber Fury. It's set in a pupil referral unit in Edinburgh where a bereaved teacher decides to teach Greek tragedies to children excluded from mainstream education. One of them develops an unexpected take on the material and horrible things happen as a result.

Despite being a bit grim it's very moreish and easy to read. The small cast of characters are well developed, sensitively portrayed and the setting is interesting.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:40 PM   #251
-Danielle-
Whore dollas all over the place...

I'm going on holiday to Rome on Sunday. I was going to bring Game Of Thrones with me and finally start it but I think I'm just going to go ahead and read the second to last True Blood book so I can finish and be done with em. Need to read this, buy the last book and I'm done! Maybe then I can invest into GoT properly.

I'd like to find another book that hit my heart the way Me Before You did. I found The First Last Kiss but it's not tugged my heart strings the way Me Before You has.
I never thought i'd be into anything remotely like this book's genre but it captivated me and I cried, boy did I cry. Only one other book's made me cry before this one and that was The Art Of Racing In The Rain. Just beautiful.
-Danielle- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:05 PM   #252
solojudei
Registered

I've just started Fight Club. Recently watched the film and was interested in the original material

I've ordered Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey. I've been told it's almost addictive reading. Can't wait!
"I may not be making millions of dollars and I may not have thousands of nubile if uncritical young women lusting for my body but I've got something you haven't...this small piece of coal" - George Stobbart, Broken Sword
solojudei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:35 AM   #253
cosfyiep
Registered

I would recommend the Mortal Instrument Series by Cassandra Clare. It is one of my favorites. It is about Shadowhunters (nephilim) and Downworlders (vampire, werewolves, faeries, warlocks, etc.) who had a feud because the shadowhunters think of themselves as superior but they had to work together to defeat their nemesis that would destroy them all.
cosfyiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 05:09 AM   #254
cosfyiep
Registered

Time keeper by Mitch Albom it's really an inspiring book to read. lots of lesson to learn from it.
cosfyiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 02:16 PM   #255
Porygon-Z
Registered

I read the beach by alex garland the other day. Its a lot better than the film.
Porygon-Z is offline   Reply With Quote