|
|
|
|
|
|
|
UK Anime Network
Main Site Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   UK Anime Forums > General > Other media

Other media Films/TV/Music of a non-Japanese variety

Old 21-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #226
Martin
guitaku

When I picked up Railsea, the bloke behind the counter in Waterstones mentioned that Mieville's working on a graphic novel but since it was in 'comic' rather than 'anthology book' format, they don't have it in stock yet. One of the reasons why it's cool to buy a book from a high street shop occasionally: Amazon are cheaper, but customer service still means something to me.

I've watched a couple of video interviews with him, and he does come across as a very intelligent and articulate guy. It's always nice when writers are as eloquent in person as they are in their writing!
Old 27-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #227
rjessop
Registered

I finished my murderous dwarf fantasy novel. Doesn't need a review.

Also completed Strange Days Indeed: The Golden Age of Paranoia by Francis Wheen. It's a history of the strange characters and character of the 1970s which neatly dovetails with his previous How Mumbo-Jumbo Conquered the World: A Short History of Modern Delusions which starts its own narrative in 1979.

A large proportion of the book details the shifty-eyed profusely-sweating rulers of the period including Nixon, Heath, Wilson, Mao and everyone's favourite megalomaniac (sorry Dan), Idi Amin. Much of the rest deals with popular culture and popular movements, sometimes told through Wheen's own anecdotes. The common theme is the titular paranoia; which runs through every page of the book like a worrying, often gobsmackingly funny seam.

Now reading Greta Christina's Why Are You Atheists So Angry?.
rjessop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #228
sarahc
Registered

I just finished Koushun Takamis "Battle Royale", thought it was much better then the film
sarahc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #229
RumbleKingJoe
Registered

I have been reading the series of books called "A Song of Ice and Fire" which for those of you who don't know is the chain of novels that the tv series "A Game of Thrones" is based on since it is named after the first book in the series.

Currently I am over halfway through the latest book in the series "A Dance With Dragons Part 2: After the Feast" and I can tell you now that all of them have been consistently thrilling and interesting. The way the characters and the setting of the story is written really captivates your imagination by being very descriptive but without the hassle of too many complex words to throw you off. Every sentence and paragraph just roll on making them an easy read and you should be able to find yourself immersed in the story and losing track of time around you.

I recommend these to anyone who likes settings similar to "The Lord of the Rings" because you will find yourself engrossed.
RumbleKingJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #230
silentNate
Never Knows Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post
When I picked up Railsea, the bloke behind the counter in Waterstones mentioned that Mieville's working on a graphic novel but since it was in 'comic' rather than 'anthology book' format, they don't have it in stock yet. One of the reasons why it's cool to buy a book from a high street shop occasionally: Amazon are cheaper, but customer service still means something to me.

I've watched a couple of video interviews with him, and he does come across as a very intelligent and articulate guy. It's always nice when writers are as eloquent in person as they are in their writing!
Strangely I've met him but never read any of his books... he is lovely irl you will be pleased to know
silentNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #231
AnimeHime
Registered

I've not long finished re-reading the always wonderful Matilda by Roald Dahl...I never tire of reading this story, never have done and never will, no matter how old I get
AnimeHime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #232
duoinchains
t'other resident yaoi fan

Recently finished Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion - interesting twist on the zombie story. Looking forward to seeing the movie in the next week.

And have started Lionheart by Sharon Penman. Normally I love 'Historical Faction', but this starts off very stodgy, mainly as there are so many characters to introduce and place in context.
duoinchains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #233
Max Takeshi
Registered

Currently reading Spice and Wolf: Volume 2.

Only read the manga, not seen the anime, but this is a better telling of that which involved volumes 4, 5 and 6 of the manga. It's also a much better story than the currency devaluation, too.

The story of the gold smuggling is fantastic and plotted well. The build up is perfectly judged... having Lawrence's decent into despair heightened very well. Norah also comes across as shy, ans tends to stumble with her words.

One thing it lacks, though, is the hints of abuse that Norah suffers, making her less of a victim.

A riveting read, and the changes from the manga here and there make it feel not so much as treading familiar ground, but coming across a new interpretation of familiar events.
Max Takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #234
AnimeHime
Registered

Finished reading the wonderful Charlie And The Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl the other day...Have now almost finished reading it's follow-up, Charlie And The Great Glass Elevator recently also
AnimeHime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #235
Robert66jr
The new Guy

Read the lasted vol of Jack Campbell novels The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier - Guardian.

a good sci-fi read that had me hooked since I picked up the first voloume, overall I won't spoil it.
Old 14-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #236
Kite
Registered

Finished Ian Rankin's The Impossible Dead on Friday night, good novel.

My pile of books is slowly coming down
Kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #237
Weirdo
UKA Catgirl Correspondant

I need to start on the jack Campbell books.

At the moment I am mostly reading structural engineering texts and revising for this training course I need to write. Fun.

Going to try and get my bookshelf of to read books on kindle before I fly
Old 14-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #238
Robert66jr
The new Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
I need to start on the jack Campbell books.
Read Starks set first.... it's better as it not related to LF but you would be raging halfway through lost fleet if you read them first as you're finding it long winded
Old 19-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #239
Gemsy-chan
Resident Fujoshi

Just finished Romance of the Three Kingdoms and what i've learnt from reading it is...they behead and execute generals and miniters far to easily and for such stupid reasons, surprised they had anyone to fight wars and run the country. They swoon a lot, believe defectors far too easily. Wounds burst open in anger and then they die. Hold banquets for everything.

Twitter | MyAnimeList | MyFigureCollection
Gemsy-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #240
solojudei
Registered

Sherlock Holmes - The Sign of Four
"I may not be making millions of dollars and I may not have thousands of nubile if uncritical young women lusting for my body but I've got something you haven't...this small piece of coal" - George Stobbart, Broken Sword
solojudei is offline   Reply With Quote