|
|
|
|
|
|
|
UK Anime Network
Main Site Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   UK Anime Forums > General > Other media

Other media Films/TV/Music of a non-Japanese variety

Old 10-11-2005, 02:43 PM   #1
Weirdo
UKA Catgirl Correspondant

Default Read a good book lately?

List a book you have read lately, enjoyed or not enjoyed, and your feelings about it. Consider this, book reviewing.

Please use the fabulous spoiler colour (white) if you want to let loose about the storyline.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:15 PM   #2
DarkDesigns
Semper Fidelis

May I ask now, NO SPOILERS?
DarkDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 04:11 PM   #3
Lina Mishima
Registered

Peter F Hamilton's "Night's dawn Trilogy"

Working through the first book again atm, really gripping my interest, wonderful sci-fi horror.
Lina Mishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 04:12 PM   #4
Thrash
Made of Metal

The last truly great books I read were Ilium/Olympos by Dan Simmons, some rather awesome speculative SF, with the Iliad and it's numerous Gods and characters being reborn some time in the not too distant future. Our witness to this madness is a twentieth century Scholar by the name of Thomas Hockenberry, whose granted task is to chronicle the events of the Iliad as they unfold and report on any discrepencies to his Olympian masters. Whilst they may twist and cajole their puppets and playthings that are the Trojans and the Argives with their mysterious technology, the Gods do not know their own fates.

Meanwhile, the Earth is almost bereft of humanity, with barely a million of our kin scattered across the face of the planet, their movements and knowledge restricted by unknown forces. The few areas of the planet that are inhabited are connected by quantum teleportation instated by a mysterious race known as "post humans". Though most languish in a state of contented stupour, there are those who seek the knowledge we have lost.

Across the gulf of space near the planet Jupiter, there is unrest. High degrees of quantum activity has been detected near Mars, and the sentient robots known as Moraveks fear for the stability of the solar system. A team of literature obsessed androids are sent to investigate and neutralise the threat.

Simmons weaves together three seemingly disparate narratives together with aplomb, and the book is a curious mixture of theoretical physics and literary references. Your enjoyment of this book really depends on two things - whether you enjoy hard Sci Fi and whether you've read the Iliad. If the answer to either is no, it is unlikely you'll be as taken as I was with this original and compelling pair of novels.

You wouldn't believe how difficult it was to avoid spoilers.
Thrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 05:18 PM   #5
Judder
Sir

Tales of the Otori trilogy by Lian Hearn. I won't ramble on about it just now but you really must read these books.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:25 PM   #6
kei-kun
Fueled by Guinness

fall of the house of usher and other writings by edgar allen poe. Poe for the win.
Johnny and Marissa sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G, first comes love, then comes marriage, then comes an abrupt, tragic miscarriage. Then comes blame, then comes despair, two hearts broken beyond repairs. Johnny leaves Marrisa and takes the tree, D-I-V-O-R-C-E
kei-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 05:33 PM   #7
Cheese
Stalker

The Curious Incident Of the Dog In THe Night Time by Mark Haddon, i know i've talked about this several times but it really is good. Loopz has read this so he knows it's a pretty good read.

It's a fictional book which isn't really about a dog at all it only plays a small part, the actully story has alot more too it. It's about a kid with Aspergers Syndrome who wants to find out about the dog and when he finds out he does alsorts of odd things and you can see how he thinks things through and stuff. Really interesting, the author really did his research becausue he really seemed to get inside the head of the main character.
"The Enrichment Center promises to always provide safe testing environments. In dangerous testing environments, the Enrichment Center promises to always provide useful advice. For instance, the floor here will kill you. Try to avoid it."
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 05:37 PM   #8
Spee
The Aloof One

Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss - the ultimate grammar nazi's book. Need I say more?
Old 10-11-2005, 07:16 PM   #9
Tora-kun
Trying to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese
The Curious Incident Of the Dog In THe Night Time by Mark Haddon, i know i've talked about this several times but it really is good. Loopz has read this so he knows it's a pretty good read.
I recommend this one too. Even if you don't like it, the writing style is different enough to be interesting in its own right.
Tora-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 07:21 PM   #10
kei-kun
Fueled by Guinness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spee
Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss - the ultimate grammar nazi's book. Need I say more?
I really want to read, eats, shites and leaves by A. Parody. Looks to be good,.^^
Johnny and Marissa sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G, first comes love, then comes marriage, then comes an abrupt, tragic miscarriage. Then comes blame, then comes despair, two hearts broken beyond repairs. Johnny leaves Marrisa and takes the tree, D-I-V-O-R-C-E
kei-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 07:48 PM   #11
Ezekiel
Wholesome Pervert

Just finished Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman... I didn't like the beginning very much. I got into it in the end though and liked it well enough.

Book before that was The Three Day Rule by Josie Lloyd and Emlyn Rees. This wasn't as good as their others. The ending felt very rushed and was extremely cheesy.

Before that I re-read every Laurell K Hamilton book I own. God I love her. That's the four book series of the Merry Gentry books and the 12 books of Antia Blake Vampire Hunter series. So much love.

I'm currently reading Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything. Enjoying it muchly.

So much love for the books.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:09 PM   #12
Dan
Registered

Default Re: Read a good book lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo
List a book you have read lately
....none really, who has the time!

Most recent reads...

The Russian Debutant's Handbook - Gary Shteyngart ....was ok.
First and Last Men - Olaf Stapledon ....it had it's moments.
Vagabonding - Rolf Potts ....quick read which makes me want to travel.

Currently watching....

http://lionsan.tumblr.com,
https://www.facebook.com/bentodan
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:14 PM   #13
Judder
Sir

While I'm remembering, a book everybody should read is "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold. It's a modern masterpeice.
Quote:
Generally I don't enjoy books narrated by an asperger character/author. I guess I find it a little too tedious and pedantic, but everyone tells me it's a good read.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:02 AM   #14
Ezekiel
Wholesome Pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judder
While I'm remembering, a book everybody should read is "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold. It's a modern masterpeice.
Quote:
Generally I don't enjoy books narrated by an asperger character/author. I guess I find it a little too tedious and pedantic, but everyone tells me it's a good read.
I agree Lovely Bones is fine work indeed.

I didn't like The Curious Incident of the Dog... overall I didn't like the main character, I think the author chose a very extreme version of Aspergers that was more into the Autism realm than strictly Aspergers. I guess I was expecting someone like my niece as the main character but they were very different. Also, the kid brushed his teeth and then ate breakfast. That really bothered me.

On a final note, The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger is amazing.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:39 AM   #15
pink-chan
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spee
She went to my school... except for about 30 years ago.
pink-chan is offline   Reply With Quote