Anime League - The number 1 for UK Anime Events
Rice Digital, games and exclusive special editions
Cardfight Vanguard collectable cardgame
Yorkshire Cosplay Con Sheffield Arena
Anime, manga and merchandise superstore
Looking for manga/games for otaku?
UK Anime Network
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
UK Anime Network
Main Site Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   UK Anime Forums > General > UKA Garage

UKA Garage Need help with hardware? See if our army of boffins can help...

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-03-2017, 03:26 PM   #16
macloud
5qw34k!!
 
macloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Staffordshire
Posts: 1,032
Default

just had to change over to chrome after FF repeated refused to recognise my password for the CMS site - at one point had to keep pestering poor Hanners for help before i finally cracked it - Next UKAstock could someone get him a beer from me for his help?
__________________
What is gold?
Magic that gives the illusion of finding happiness.

-------------------------
Roses are red, Violets are blue, Omae wa mou shindeiru!
-------------------------
my [sort of] anime/manga blog
http://chuodori.wordpress.com
macloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 03:43 PM   #17
dapprman
Registered
 
dapprman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Watford
Posts: 639
Default

I use Firefox FSR - it's the business version so is missing one to two years of bloat in return for more reliability. It's still a memory hog though and I do suffer from some oddities. I use Chrome only for Google specific pages (i.e. youtube, gmail, forms, etc). I hate it, it's buggy, and if you're paranoid, it's by far the worse for keeping track and reporting your activity (far worse than Safari). My second choice is actually Internet Explorer, especially now Adblock+ exists for it (though not uBLock, which I prefer).
dapprman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 04:05 PM   #18
megalomaniac
「遊びは終わりだ」
 
megalomaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 4,890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapprman View Post
I use Firefox FSR - it's the business version so is missing one to two years of bloat in return for more reliability. It's still a memory hog though and I do suffer from some oddities. I use Chrome only for Google specific pages (i.e. youtube, gmail, forms, etc). I hate it, it's buggy, and if you're paranoid, it's by far the worse for keeping track and reporting your activity (far worse than Safari). My second choice is actually Internet Explorer, especially now Adblock+ exists for it (though not uBLock, which I prefer).
Do you genuinely mean Internet Explorer, or do you mean Edge? One of those things is acceptable, one should have you burning in the pits of hell.

Also: Agreed, Chrome is the devil if you have even the faintest care for privacy.
__________________
"If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now!"
Twitter | Blog
megalomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 04:28 PM   #19
Hanners
Strawberry Sae forever
 
Hanners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Poole, Dorset, England
Posts: 16,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalomaniac View Post
Do you genuinely mean Internet Explorer, or do you mean Edge? One of those things is acceptable, one should have you burning in the pits of hell.
I'm genuinely not sure which is which in that comparison...
__________________
MyAnimeList | Hanners' anime 'Blog | Twitter
Hanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 04:38 PM   #20
dapprman
Registered
 
dapprman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Watford
Posts: 639
Default

Edge is the cut down browser in Windows 10 - I don't use my laptop often enough to have a good view of it (and use FF on there), but on my desk top it's IE 11.
dapprman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 04:39 PM   #21
Necro
Grim User
 
Necro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Manchester
Posts: 4,829
Default

dat necro bump

I begrudgingly switched to Chrome after Firefox turned into an unusable mess. Chrome is alright but obviously the 1984 of browsers, yet even that is being a PITA for me.

I hate every browser ever at this point. Why can't someone make something reasonably lighweight and not awful
__________________
MyAnimeList | Last.fm | My Hopefully Not As Crap Website Sod it
Now with upoutdated account information!

1998 - 2013
Necro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 05:32 PM   #22
megalomaniac
「遊びは終わりだ」
 
megalomaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 4,890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanners View Post
I'm genuinely not sure which is which in that comparison...
Edge is at least standards compliant, something IE was legendarily not. Then there's all that ActiveX nonsense *shudder*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapprman View Post
Edge is the cut down browser in Windows 10 - I don't use my laptop often enough to have a good view of it (and use FF on there), but on my desk top it's IE 11.
Not quite, Edge is the official replacement for IE. Though if you mean it sheds a lot of the guff that made IE notoriously awful then I suppose in a way it is "cut down".


Also find myself wondering what on earth do you lot do to FF to make it "unusable"?

Also also... has anyone else tried Vivaldi? That's an interesting one.
__________________
"If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now!"
Twitter | Blog

Last edited by megalomaniac; 27-03-2017 at 05:37 PM.
megalomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 06:51 PM   #23
Hanners
Strawberry Sae forever
 
Hanners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Poole, Dorset, England
Posts: 16,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalomaniac View Post
Edge is at least standards compliant, something IE was legendarily not. Then there's all that ActiveX nonsense *shudder*.
Standards compliant, and works with absolutely sod-all.
__________________
MyAnimeList | Hanners' anime 'Blog | Twitter
Hanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 06:59 PM   #24
Weirdo
UKA Catgirl Correspondant
 
Weirdo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 13,796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalomaniac View Post
Also also... has anyone else tried Vivaldi? That's an interesting one.
Quite a big fan of vivaldi. Use it on 2 of my machines. The new Opera is rather good for low RAM environments I find. Runs rather well on my windows tablet.
__________________
Twitter || G+ || MAL
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
firefox profile help needed Masaki86 UKA Garage 7 25-07-2005 08:49 PM
firefox email link query Masaki86 UKA Garage 6 07-04-2005 01:29 PM
firefox problems Masaki86 UKA Garage 15 25-02-2005 07:16 AM
Firefox 1.0 Ayanami General Chat 39 11-11-2004 08:28 PM
Shaman King TheLostProphet Anime 3 23-08-2004 02:51 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.