|
|
|
|
|
|
|
UK Anime Network
Main Site Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   UK Anime Forums > Anime Related Chat > Anime

Anime Chat related to anime series/creators & studios

Old 12-03-2017, 11:32 AM   #1
Shadow Cat
The resident Yuri Fan

Default How much does streaming effect DVD sales

Considering this site has some ties with MVM and Anime Limited I'm just wondering

Just how much does streaming sites like Crunchyroll effect DVD/Bluray sales for the UK?

Has there been any noticeable difference in DVD/BR sales, be it increase or decrease, especially over the last 2~3 years? And would this question be more towards the cost of living increasing and the drop in the value of the GBP rather than the increase in streaming?

Does fans importing titles from the US rather than waiting still effect the market as much in the UK? The main reason for importing over the last few years was the amount of Bluray titles NOT available in the UK, now we're seeing more Bluray release are sales looking better?

-----

I know this keeps getting brought up every 6 months ~ 1 year but a lot has changed with the costs of physical media increasing while Crunchyroll recently getting 1 million paying subscribers world wide and paying more attention to the UK market, partly thanks to Anime Limited
Shadow Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:51 AM   #2
latro
Registered

My suspicion would be that American imports are down due to both increasing availability of titles in the UK and the terrible exchange rate.

Streaming likley will have put a dent into physical sale but probably not by all that much as the market increases and physical media are a much better entry point for newcomers as they can sit on shelves to be seen and handled.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:02 PM   #3
Hanners
Strawberry Sae forever

From a personal perspective, I certainly think there is a tier of shows that I'd label as "well worth watching in streaming form, but maybe not worthy of repeat viewings" that is thus potentially not worth a DVD or Blu-ray purchase.

There's no doubt that streaming is eating into elements of the home video market, and this will only continue to grow - I know people who are simply baffled at the idea of owning a standalone Blu-ray player in a world where Netflix exists.

This is where Collector's Editions can come in to fill that gap, offering something above and beyond what simply streaming a series can bring to the table and making for a more valuable "ownership experience" than just a disc that is giving you what you've likely already seen elsewhere.

Of course, there are lots of complexities beyond that, but that's how it sits with me right now.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:36 PM   #4
Tweek
Registered

I've bought quite a few series that I had previously seen on Crunchyroll, or other streaming sites, that I probably wouldn't have bothered with otherwise.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:25 PM   #5
Cudwieser
Registered

It has probably streamline the DVD/BD industry. There will likely always be a demand for physical media, but I can see the likes of HMV dropping alot of anime from their shelves. Online retailers will likely continue apace with little difference as inevitably those that have streamed something they like will want a physical release. Add to that the fact a lot of high street retailers cut their niche content due to online retail. All streaming is doing is making demand more obvious and giving the likes of HMV an idea of what is likely to sell instead of the old scattergun approach of any old nonsense (something they've already been doing).

P.S Off Topic Who is that in your avatar Shadow Cat? Very cute
Cudwieser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:31 PM   #6
latro
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanners View Post
From a personal perspective, I certainly think there is a tier of shows that I'd label as "well worth watching in streaming form, but maybe not worthy of repeat viewings" that is thus potentially not worth a DVD or Blu-ray purchase.

Very much this - I very rarely blind buy shows any more now that I've seen most stuff streaming.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:49 PM   #7
duoinchains
t'other resident yaoi fan

Streaming allows the studios to get foreign income from a wider range of anime series, rather than rely on DVD/BR sales where only a handful of the most popular/'safe' series from any given season would get subbed/dubbed for non-native distribution.

And that wider exposure might result in less safe series gaining sufficient popularity to justify a physical release, maybe?
Roses are #FF0000, Violets are #0000FF, All my base, Are belong to you ^_^ My Anime and Manga Lists

Last edited by duoinchains; 21-03-2017 at 09:53 PM.
duoinchains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 05:51 PM   #8
Shiroi Hane
Baka Ranger

There are shows I've not even considered buying because I've not seen them streaming and don't have the cash to risk blind buys (unless there's a super cheap offer).
There are shows I've watched streaming and don't really want to watch again so discs aren't a priority unless they're really cheap.
There's shows I've watched streaming and wanted to buy immediately. The problem is that desire can wane by the time they actually are available (I probably will still pre-order for example Erased, assuming AL have some sort of early bird deal on their site, and I'm waiting for School Live solicitations)
Shiroi Hane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 08:50 AM   #9
megalomaniac
「遊びは終わりだ」

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanners View Post
There's no doubt that streaming is eating into elements of the home video market, and this will only continue to grow - I know people who are simply baffled at the idea of owning a standalone Blu-ray player in a world where Netflix exists.
Not really anime related but: Conversely I'm baffled by the idea anyone could be satisfied by the selection on Netflix, especially film wise. There's almost nothing there that's anything other than middle of the road popcorn fodder or b-movies. None of the big recent films are there, there's hardly any MCU stuff (only Iron Man 3 iirc), there are very few classics (no Alien, Blade Runner or Terminator for example). They are much better for TV series, but even there outside the "Netflix originals" there's not that much worth shouting about.
Old 21-03-2017, 11:21 AM   #10
Hanners
Strawberry Sae forever

Relevant to this discussion: Anime home video sales in Japan dropped 15% over the past year, and have been doing so for some time now.

Not entirely related to streaming, certainly, but online availability of anime will certainly be having an impact as part of that big ticket number.
Old 21-03-2017, 08:41 PM   #11
shanaleonhart
Nya

I don't buy anywhere near as much physical media as I used to simply due to space issues (and every time I move... lugging them around) and the fact that I just don't have the time at the moment (err... ever, lol) to really watch anything.
Old 21-03-2017, 11:08 PM   #12
Cudwieser
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanaleonhart View Post
I don't buy anywhere near as much physical media as I used to simply due to space issues (and every time I move... lugging them around) and the fact that I just don't have the time at the moment (err... ever, lol) to really watch anything.
Guessing not really a streaming issue, just over eagerness and now life getting in the way

Saying that it is fair to say streaming has become the salvation of many older fans I see, if only for it's lack of physical media and relative ease of access. Still don't see it truly denting physical media though (at least not this side of my days). Simple reality is the fact the industry still makes greater returns with DVD/BD than subs. DVD/BD are also imo more reliable than streams and until we have universally reliable access and quality standard of streaming as well as a couple of generations raised on streams then physical media won't be felling the pinch anytime soon.
Cudwieser is offline   Reply With Quote