What are University anime clubs like?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ch1cken, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Ch1cken

Ch1cken Member

As the title says, next year I'll be going to University, and since I never had anyone to speak about anime with in real life properly, I'm wondering what it'd be like to join a club.

I'll probably end up living at halls, and I'll probably go to a University in Liverpool.

So, can anyone who goes to a uni anime club tell me what it's like?

#1 Ch1cken, Dec 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2018
  2. Random88

Random88 The Videogame Guy

sure from my experience anime clubs are just clubs for people who like anime to watch it together or find people who share the hobby to hang out with.
    Depending how it's run or what ties they have with anime distributors will influence what you watch. MVM have been known to really get involved with anime clubs at Unis if they contact them, sending them recent release discs etc. What you watch though will depend on how the head of the club runs things. From my experience the head of the club will either pick a list of shows that have finished or currently airing and put it to a democratic vote. once you've decided from the vote on what you watch you'll watch 2-4 episodes of it per session depending on the time you have the room booked for etc. There may do some discussion afterwards. But most people will just exchange contact details and the club will have its own facebook page etc to have conversations. Also you may go on club events that will mainly be an excuse just to hang out and chill. Going for food, shopping etc.
    There will be people in the same situation as yourself there, I tend to find most people in the club don't really have friends to talk to about anime so are either quite reserved at first or over enthusiastic. You get a good mix and people there are understanding as anime is a hobby for more introverted people. I'd recommend going along a couple of times and trying it out to see if it's what you're looking for. Theres no harm in doing so.

Ch1cken likes this.
  3. Ch1cken

Ch1cken Member

Thanks for the response, I've had a look at the local universities clubs and it feels pretty nerve wracking just checking it all out. I suppose I just need to man up a bit and not be worried about everything lol

I hopefully won't feel this way when I start at University

#3 Ch1cken, Dec 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  4. Weirdo

Weirdo UKA Editor in Chief
    Staff Member

I was in a few of them, as I was at Salford uni and we shared clubs with UMIST, Manchester Met and Manchester Uni.

MUJS was pretty awesome back in the day. Met a lot of friends there, and one night we were watching Gunslinger Girl, and then we discovered that Delgados (who did the opening), were playing live in the Academy down the corridor. That was damn awesome.

WARP at Salford was my anime society. Mostly did role playing and some anime gaming / swapping / watching in our Cafe venue.

Nanimew used to be around back then, which Geoff used to host at the Font. Dont think that is going anymore, but that was a great club to watch some really bizarre shit :D

5. Ch1cken

Ch1cken Member

Was it strictly Uni-only? And was there a big turnout?

I haven't seen gunslinger girl, but that's a pretty crazy coincidence. I don't think I've been to a real concert either, I always imagined they'd make me dizzy or give me headaches with all the lights (since my eyes aren't too good).

#5 Ch1cken, Dec 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2018
  6. Weirdo

Weirdo UKA Editor in Chief
    Staff Member

Some were uni only. Those were the ones on the campuses. You need a uni ID to get in. The NanimeW one didn't though.

Concerts, are ok. If you go to ones in small venues, the light shows tend to be more subdued. Big venues, yeah, they are flashy AF.

Ch1cken likes this.
  7. dapprman

dapprman Registered

The RPG society was the upcoming anime society when I was at Liverpool University, but that was from jsut before to jsut after Akira was first released on video over here. Two of the members even organised a sucessful anime convention in the old Union building. These days I can't help you, but don't be nervous about approaching a society jsut because you consider yourself to be a mature student (you're only in your 20s, not 40s ;) as you'll find many do have older members including past students.

Ch1cken likes this.
  8. Necro

Necro Grim User

I understand how hypocritical it is of me to say this, and I get that it's not as simple as this
    But you'll face a lot of opportunities to force yourself out of your shell. Use freshers week wisely and take advantage of the cheap nights/awkwardness that everyone has due to nobody knowing each other.

Ch1cken likes this.
  9. Ch1cken

Ch1cken Member

Was the RPG society like board games?

10. Necro

Necro Grim User

Likely tabletop RPGs and miniature games such as Warhammer. There could be a dedicated board game society, it's a relatively popular niche.

11. dapprman

dapprman Registered

No was 'real' RPGs - D&D, Call of Cthulhu, Cyberpunk (which I ran there), etc

12. Horkall

Horkall New Member

I actually help run one anime club down in Gloucestershire! Personally, I find it a nice community where you're among like-minded people, but you can take that with a pinch of salt because of course I'd be shilling for my own group!

For comparison, videogames have become mainstream next to movies and cartoon series, which is great and all, but the videogame societies in universities sort of got taken over by things like FIFA and Call of Duty, giving the people into nerdier things less space to be open. That definitely hasn't happened at my anime society. I find that many people who are into anime are into it for similar reasons - escapism, fear of real life people, etc, and I can only assume it's a similar story around other anime societies. I suppose it ultimately depends on the university itself, but it's generally a wise idea to try out as many societies that interest you as possible!

13. Eros

Eros

This is where I come in, late (as always) and do my Grump drop. It should also be noted however that in Anime terms, I could probably be described as trying to get involved in an Anime Society back in the dark ages... way back in the early 2000s. That weird era where Anime distributers started to dry up VHS, but wouldn't publish anything other than movies on DVD in the UK....

THUS please take this reply as a 'possibility' but probably representative of what a crappy society looks like rather than what i'd expect of todays outings.

I went to the University of Sheffield and basically the Anime society was mostly run by language students (makes sense), someone doing AV stuff and a spattering of nerds... there was a core leadership of about 5-7 friends who basically ran the society for themselves and that was roughly it. Outside of sitting and watching Episodes of Love Hina (fansubbed) and Trigun (on import) in the first year, any gatherings that occurred after the showings were largely about the core group of 5-7 friends ignoring everyone else who attended. Basically if you wasn't a language student who knew Japanese, you were not worthy. I think for all the time I spent at the gatherings, my interactions with people was limited to standing with a bunch of alienated people trying to figure out why the people that organized the showings where rather unfriendly... to anyone except girls. OH wait! obvious right!

THUS, Each of the 4 years I was at the University of Sheffield I stopped attending after 3-4 months of the new year, because it was just not fun. Even though the leadership did shift each year, it was basically handed down between friends, and a few of the members who graduated and did masters/PhDs still stayed on as the main providers of FanSubs and deciders of what shows were played. There was no democratic votes, it was "This is being watched because i want to". Seriously, the second year, they watched the whole of GundamW... The amount of material that is for a once a week show... christ... No idea how it survived really given how hostile the leadership was.

These days, I hope that with the availability and free access to anime (comparatively) that the societies are a fun and open place to be and to discover. All of the Universities I have worked at, and gotten to know students in attendance at, have all said my experience was a bit crappy and they have had a great time... So :) there is light at the end of the tunnel. I can only hope, after nearly 2 decades that the University of Sheffield Anime society is actually good.

Ch1cken likes this.
  14. Ch1cken

Ch1cken Member

Thanks for the detailed response, hopefully it's not just language students there lol

Though I can read katakana/hiragana mostly, I do not understand the words I read (never mind the kanji). There is an option at some universities to take a language module in any course, which I might decide to do. I just need to hope I'm not in a 'avoid people' phase when I go there, which is how I've been sort of feeling lately.

15. Eros

Eros

You will be fine, there will be lots of people in the same position, and hopefully all wanting to take part in a similar activity will be awesome and rewarding.

Ch1cken likes this.
  16. andrewbcalculating

andrewbcalculating Registered

During January and February of this year, I spent four weeks attending the Cambridge University Anime & Manga Society.

I emailed the society, informed them that I was a member of staff and was told that I could come along.

At the first meeting, I introduced myself to my initial contact on the committee and sat down to watch My Ordinary Life. However, during those four weeks, nobody spoke to me.

It wasn't until the society had a social gathering that I was able to interact with people. Unfortunately, after the social had finished, I discovered my car had been broken into. As a result, I didn't feel confident in having a secure place to park for meetings. So in the end, I stopped going.

I didn't enjoy my time at the society. My Ordinary Life was a bit too silly for my tastes, the cold weather that time of year was unpleasant, I didn't like going to bed as soon as I got home because of when the meetings finished, having nobody talk to me was disappointing and the experience of my car being broke into didn't help.

The society did have an active Discord which I regret not getting onto because I think it would have helped me integrate and the interaction at the social did give me reason to be positive but in the end, nothing came from it.

I'm still looking to connect with other people in real life who share my interest in anime though.

|<o>|

17. Ch1cken

Ch1cken Member

Ah, I'm sorry to hear that. It's a real shame your car was broken into too. Hopefully if I manage to join in freshers I'll get on okayish terms with a few of them making it easier to join in.

Have you ever tried meetup? Perhaps that could be an option, I'm not sure if the link below is an actual group or not, but if you set one up there's a possibility people will contact you who are interested.

https://www.meetup.com/find/?allMeetups=false&keywords=ANIME&radius=25&userFreeform=Cambridge,+United+Kingdom&mcId=c1012780&mcName=Cambridge,+England,+GB&sort=default

I haven't personally used that site, but that could be an option.

18. Necro

Necro Grim User

A few people on here have used meetup. I have it, but I have yet to go to any meetups :p

19. andrewbcalculating

andrewbcalculating Registered

I think age and maturity is a factor.

The mindset of a teenage student is different to that of a salary man in their thirties which can make interacting a bit of a challenge.

Also the older you get, the more responsibilities you have meaning you have less time to pursue your interests. I think making new (anime) friends that are my age is made more difficult because it is more likely that people of my age have to prioritise for example looking after children over meeting people which is completely understandable.

|<o>|

20. Ch1cken

Ch1cken Member

Would you know if there were other non-teenagers there Andrew?