What are University anime clubs like?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ch1cken, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Ch1cken

Ch1cken Member

As the title says, next year I'll be going to University as a mature student (22), and since I never had anyone to speak about anime with in real life properly, I'm wondering what it'd be like to join a club.

I'll probably end up living at halls, and I'm from Liverpool so it's most likely I go to a University there (unless I'm rejected by University of Liverpool and accepted into another redbrick I applied for, provided I meet the grades).

And now to the main concern of mine, is that I don't really act overenthusiastic about things, like I'm worried it'd just feel awkward. I'm not exactly a social butterfly on top of that, and I think only one or two people in real life know I actually like anime. Since anime/manga/video games are my main hobbies it feels a bit of a missed opportunity to not have anyone to talk about things with offline.

So, can anyone who goes to a uni anime club tell me what it's like?

2. Random88

Random88 The Videogame Guy

sure from my experience anime clubs are just clubs for people who like anime to watch it together or find people who share the hobby to hang out with.
    Depending how it's run or what ties they have with anime distributors will influence what you watch. MVM have been known to really get involved with anime clubs at Unis if they contact them, sending them recent release discs etc. What you watch though will depend on how the head of the club runs things. From my experience the head of the club will either pick a list of shows that have finished or currently airing and put it to a democratic vote. once you've decided from the vote on what you watch you'll watch 2-4 episodes of it per session depending on the time you have the room booked for etc. There may do some discussion afterwards. But most people will just exchange contact details and the club will have its own facebook page etc to have conversations. Also you may go on club events that will mainly be an excuse just to hang out and chill. Going for food, shopping etc.
    There will be people in the same situation as yourself there, I tend to find most people in the club don't really have friends to talk to about anime so are either quite reserved at first or over enthusiastic. You get a good mix and people there are understanding as anime is a hobby for more introverted people. I'd recommend going along a couple of times and trying it out to see if it's what you're looking for. Theres no harm in doing so.

Ch1cken likes this.
  3. Ch1cken

Ch1cken Member

Thanks for the response, I've had a look at the local universities clubs and it feels pretty nerve wracking just checking it all out. I suppose I just need to man up a bit and not be worried about everything lol

I hopefully won't feel this way when I start at University, it's not I'm way older and I don't reject people 4 years older than me either lol

4. Weirdo

Weirdo UKA Catgirl Correspondant

I was in a few of them, as I was at Salford uni and we shared clubs with UMIST, Manchester Met and Manchester Uni.

MUJS was pretty awesome back in the day. Met a lot of friends there, and one night we were watching Gunslinger Girl, and then we discovered that Delgados (who did the opening), were playing live in the Academy down the corridor. That was damn awesome.

WARP at Salford was my anime society. Mostly did role playing and some anime gaming / swapping / watching in our Cafe venue.

Nanimew used to be around back then, which Geoff used to host at the Font. Dont think that is going anymore, but that was a great club to watch some really bizarre shit :D

5. Ch1cken

Ch1cken Member

Was it strictly Uni-only? And was there a big turnout?

I haven't seen gunslinger girl, but that's a pretty crazy coincidence. I don't think I've been to a real concert either, I always imagined they'd make me dizzy or give me headaches with all the lights (since my eyes aren't too good). The light stick concerts in Japan would seem like fun if it weren't for my vision.

6. Weirdo

Weirdo UKA Catgirl Correspondant

Some were uni only. Those were the ones on the campuses. You need a uni ID to get in. The NanimeW one didn't though.

Concerts, are ok. If you go to ones in small venues, the light shows tend to be more subdued. Big venues, yeah, they are flashy AF.

Ch1cken likes this.
  7. dapprman

dapprman Registered

The RPG society was the upcoming anime society when I was at Liverpool University, but that was from jsut before to jsut after Akira was first released on video over here. Two of the members even organised a sucessful anime convention in the old Union building. These days I can't help you, but don't be nervous about approaching a society jsut because you consider yourself to be a mature student (you're only in your 20s, not 40s ;) as you'll find many do have older members including past students.

Ch1cken likes this.
  8. Ch1cken

Ch1cken Member

I guess small ones would be more manageable, maybe a few drinks would take my mind off the strain too. It'd feel a lot easier if I already knew some people in the groups, maybe I'll cash my luck in and be in a hall with a bunch of otaku. I did know of a guy a few years older who spoke to me a bit, but I wasn't into anime then and I think he lives in Japan now.

Another reason I feel a bit nervous, and this would go to other groups, like boardgame RPGs for example, is that I'm not really the best at expressing myself. I'm a little stereotyped as being laid-back, but it's more to do with a struggle for enthusiasm than a genuinely chilled nature. I suppose you're right though, it's not like I'll be going there and they'll be a bunch of actual kids or something.

9. Necro

Necro Grim User

I understand how hypocritical it is of me to say this, and I get that it's not as simple as this
    But you'll face a lot of opportunities to force yourself out of your shell. Use freshers week wisely and take advantage of the cheap nights/awkwardness that everyone has due to nobody knowing each other.

Ch1cken likes this.
  10. Ch1cken

Ch1cken Member

Was the RPG society like board games?

11. Necro

Necro Grim User

Likely tabletop RPGs and miniature games such as Warhammer. There could be a dedicated board game society, it's a relatively popular niche.

12. dapprman

dapprman Registered

No was 'real' RPGs - D&D, Call of Cthulhu, Cyberpunk (which I ran there), etc