[News] Manga UK poised to re-release classic titles

Discussion in 'News' started by megalomaniac, Sep 13, 2017.

1. megalomaniac

megalomaniac Anime Editor

2. Martin

Martin guitaku

Excellent news. It's been ages since I saw the Cowboy Bebop movie and don't remember much about it, beyond it being pretty much a feature-length episode of Cowboy Bebop. Which is a good thing. :) It would look really nice in full HD though, so I may well upgrade my dusty old DVD.

Steamboy's an odd one. It looks very, very cool and the setting of Victorian England is refreshing, but it felt a bit over-long and lacking somehow. Strange how steampunk sounds great as a concept, but when it comes to actually making a satisfying steampunk story, it always seems to fall frustratingly flat (see also: Wild Wild West, Empire of Corpses, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen...). If it has the English dub that I remember it having, you do get to hear Sir Patrick Stewart with his Yorkshire accent, so there's that at least. :D

As for Paprika...wow. A licence rescue I assume? I remember it being one of the first blu-rays I ever bought, which pretty much sold me on the format. It looks AMAZING. Satoshi Kon with a Susumu Hirasawa soundtrack...just perfect. I'm so glad that it's going to still be available.

3. Cudwieser

Cudwieser Registered

Only Three. Would be interested if I hadn't bought all three (and classics they certainly are, so feel free to ignore a jaded bent to this response and buy three worthwhile titles), but the UK market if way behind the US for 'classics'. Check Rightstuf to see what classics are and what Manga UK must achieve before they can boast releasing 'classics'. Three 'recent' classics isn't a mention, merely a fart in the right direction. Come on Manga UK, you can do more.

All these, even in utterence, would be a good blood start

Macross Plus
    Ninja Scroll
    Bubblegum Crisis (OVA)
    (New) Dominion Tank Police
    Gunsmith Cats
    Riding Bean
    Fist Of The North Star
    Goku: Midnight Eye
    Cyber City Oedo
    Ah! My Goddess
    Any Lupin III film
    All Gundams

and that is nothing but a sniff at the obvious list of 'desired' classics

4. megalomaniac

That's a hell of a licensing nightmare you've got there. Not forgetting you've listed a few series and these are films, plus other factors like the fact Anime Limited already working their way through Gundam things. :)

5. ic

ic Registered

Well first off these three ARE classics, though Steamboy is less so. You can't dispute the other two surely?

With reference to Gundam have you actually paid any attention to the UK market? I don't think so, other wise you'd know OG Gundam is out on blu-ray, as is Zeta, Reconguista in G and the OG movie trilogy.

Ninja Scroll, as far as I recall is out on blu-ray. It even had a nice steelbook.

Macross is a rights nightmare. We were lucky to get a dvd release of Plus back in the day, who knows how hard it would be now?

We've had a fair few of the Lupin the 3rd movies, Manga release Woman Called Fujiko Mine and Anime Limited will be releasing The Italian Adventure.

Id say get off your high horse and politely send messages on twitter or via email to Manga, Anime Limited or MVM and see if there's enough interest to license rescue some of the older titles.

6. Cudwieser

Cudwieser Registered

"Only Three. Would be interested if I hadn't bought all three (and classics they certainly are, so feel free to ignore a jaded bent to this response and buy three worthwhile titles),"

First line says I regard them as classics. Also, yes, I was ranting, largely because we need more classics. I wasn't being high and mighty (passionate maybe) and while I over looked the gundam lisences, It pains me that there aren't more classics on current release. Lupin III has a sizable back catalogue of films that few are aware off (not to mention the series) and while I don't expect immediate results (I'm aware of lisencing issues) nothing is impossible. All I threw out were titles that would show the scope of classics out there that would sell like hot cakes if Manga UK were game.

P.S I refuse to use Twitter or Facebook, No time for either or the general crap on it.

7. megalomaniac

Well if they're unheard of that probably answers why they aren't available... and let's be honest some of them are terrible *cough*Mamo*cough*. ;)
    Macross... Harmony Gold... Need I say more?