MSI Laptops?

Discussion in 'UKA Garage' started by Shadow Cat, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Shadow Cat

Shadow Cat HelloKittyIsMyWaifu

Anyone had any experiances with MSI Laptops?

I'm after something with:

Dedicated Graphics, either a GTX960M or GTX970M
    Dedicated System SSD, likely a 128ssd + 1tb HDD
    At least DDR4 Ram

So far this is just under my budget and after 5 hours searching seems the best bet:

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/msi-...nvidia-geforce-gtx-9s7-16j512-022/version.asp

I also noticed some Asus Nitro's on Currys but w/out DDR4 and a slower 5700 processor

Any suggestions?

2. Weirdo

Weirdo UKA Editor in Chief
    Staff Member

Mixed. I have seen their newest gaming setup, and it wasn't great build quality wise. Their older kit was much better built.

I was considering an MSI back in 2013 when I was looking to migrate to a laptop from my desktop for the Falklands. What won it for me was the servicability of the Dell ones over the MSI. Basically, I wanted something seriously robust and easy to fix. I also wanted a bluray drive, which a lot of laptops don't come with. Finding a <15" laptop with a bluray drive, an SSD, 32gb Ram, 1080p and a top end i7 was a git back in 2013, still looks that way.

I think you need to increase your spec. What else do you want, so that we can narrow things down?

3. Shadow Cat

I'll check out the Dell site in a moment

Really SSD+HD (not a SSHD) and a dedicated GPU (GTX 960/970 only mentioned as they were in my price range) are the important things for me, I would like an internal Bluray drive but its looking impossible for less than 1k

Edit: Back to the Asus if I'm interested in Bluray drives lol.

On budget:
    http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/acer...-1tb-128gb-ssd-nvidi-nx.g6tek.001/version.asp

Over budget:
    http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/asus...60m-17.3-windows-1-gl752vw-t4077t/version.asp

#3 Shadow Cat, Jan 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  4. megalomaniac

Can't go wrong with Asus. MSI are above average, but not in the same league as Asus. Though average is pretty poor due to the horrors of Acer et al.

Dell are worth a look as they're actually about the best they've ever been atm.

5. Weirdo

Staff Member

6. demon

demon Registered

[youtube]NC2blnl0WTE[/youtube]

If you want to drool, then drool over that as it contains a desktop class CPU and GPU and doesn't thermal throttle under load like other gaming laptops.

7. Shadow Cat

Is this worth 820

[​IMG]

8. Weirdo

Staff Member

Possibly.

9. Shadow Cat

Next up is 906

[​IMG]

10. Necro

Necro Grim User

I'd say no to either purely based on the 5400RPM drives. I assume they'd be used as storage but still. Other than that, if you intend on any intensive gaming the second one. 960M is a pretty alright mobile GPU. Dunno if it's worth 80 extra though.
    If it's only VNs and things first is decent enough. Should be nippy with that processor and SSD.

11. davidsmith3988

davidsmith3988 New Member

Well, Right now i am also using MSI laptop having good specs and till now did not found any issue while using or running games.