Let's talk about...random things!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by -Danielle-, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Cell

Cell GORDON PUNCH

I finally got round to watching Infinity War last night. It was okay.

2. ic

ic Registered

Had a job interview 3 weeks ago and it went really well, the manager even said I was highly likely to get the job. Finally get a reply today and I didn't get it. Way to make me feel useless.

3. Necro

Necro Grim User

Ah that sucks. I recall getting invited for a second interview once and being told that I was the only person they asked back, so was feeling confident. They then rejected me and when I asked they hadn't provided any reason. Pissed me off a bit as that would have been a quality job (Developer working on warehouse and stock management software). Looking for jobs sucks arse.

I managed to cock up and put the wrong address for a delivery, and am now wondering how I can get hold of the stuff as the flat I put doesn't even exist. Emailed Royal Mail and I guess the fate of that package is in their hands.

4. ic

ic Registered

They said to email them for feedback but no reply so far. Considering how well it seemed to go I really would like to hear what happened. Oh well

5. Cell

Cell GORDON PUNCH

I've asked for feedback and never received anything back. Job hunting is the pits.

6. Eros

Eros

Job hunting does indeed suck, issue I have is that, in all honesty, interviews are largely a formality, at least in my area of work. Typically they already know who they want based on who the interviewee or the panel (if there is one) know. You get lots of fundamentally dishonest processes where you are invited for interview, but you might as well not have bothered.

Example... Liverpool University, I had an interview for a research position in the department of physics... on paper, the comparison between my skill-set and the skill-set described in the advertisement were almost a perfect match. Great, good opportunity I thought.

After sitting through an interview in which they asked me lots of random stuff completely unrelated to the advertised work they finally asked "Do you have any questions you wish to ask us?" pretty standard... to which I myself ask an equally standard question "When might I find out about the outcome?"
    Answer "You will find out Tomorrow"

Bam, waste of time, haven't got the position.
    Why you ask?
    Well in Physics, for a position of its type... no-one ever just accepts... like... ever there is always a period of back and forth, always negotiations, bargaining etc.

What their answer meant was "Someone is already working the job and we just need to do this as a formality to tick off the paperwork and make it look like it was a fair process"... breaks every employment law in the book? probably yeah... maybe liable me saying this? yeah probably though the truth is it happens everywhere.... its fine, If you want to offer a job to someone, its totally fine, but don't waste other peoples time, energy and emotions. Ultimately its one of those grey areas where the principles of labour law, try to achieve something good, but fail because there is often always a way around it.... aaaaand no one is ever accountable. Iv been both victim and victor of these sorts of things, so my annoyance is maybe unwarrented... issue that i have is that in the field I have sort of a unique skillset, so when iv been the victor of it, and I investigate what other candidates applied and what experience/skills they had, its sort of an obvious point out to the niche position im in. Not that Im god, im not. I just have a particular set of skills ;)

Quite frankly, its horseshit and indeed bullshit, why bother wasting my time and your own time. Iv sort of internally blacklisted ever applying for a position at Liverpool ever again, because, they very commonly do this kind of thing from what iv heard which summarizes as "If you want a job in the specific group im talking about, you pretty much have to have already been a grad student in the same group, or know someone"

This kind of thing has happened to me a few times, one of which left an extremely bitter taste in my mouth after basically someone who even on paper was a much weaker candidate was offered a life changing permanent position, over that of 4 other people i knew got interviewed... the feedback i got, was objectively and factually incorrect and you could easily accuse the candidate who was selected as being exactly the same... I was so pissed about it I was thinking of writing to the ministry of labour, but, then thought really there is no point, because they'd really not bother checking if things were fair, and doing so would be career suicide on top.

7. -Danielle-

-Danielle- Whore dollas all over the place...

Hi everyone, sorry I been quiet.

Life's been on the up for me since MCM London. Got my closure and survived the ex and former mutual friends I had that bullied me online. Had hella bad anxiety day one of seeing em but I've made a new con family and stuff. Just a shame Feb - May was a waste and full of misery. In the numb stage of healing atm which is better than what I did feel lol.

How is everyone doing? What's been going on for you all?

8. Necro

Necro Grim User

yeah you can't do shit about it. if you complain, you get put in the shit list so you have to suck it up. Probably for the best i work my pleb tier jobs because at least this way I'm statistically a better candidate than some people, and theres less drama and politics :p

@Dani not much really. been tired and at work. Trying to sstop spending as much because I need to save up to replace my car (tho I recently discovered I could get a decent interest rate on a loan from my bank so that's an option). Insurance, however, is still my constant hatred. Still being quoted retarded figures on a car worth dick all. Can't wait to bin it.

9. ic

ic Registered

Bleh. Had an attempted phone interview today, which I'm terrible at.

10. J.Akorah

J.Akorah New Member

I'm not great at phone interviews either. Well, at least they can be done from bed but maybe that's why they have all gone bad...

11. Cell

Cell GORDON PUNCH

I've started playing mobile games.

Urghhhh.

12. ic

ic Registered

I just stammered, apologised and put the phone down. I want a job but not that badly

13. Chrono

Chrono Legendary Devil Knight

I had a Skype interview once. That was grim. The guy was in the staff kitchen making a cup of tea and looked disinterested.

14. Cell

Cell GORDON PUNCH

That's grim.

I've never done a skype interview, just a couple of phone ones. I hate doing interviews but apparently I'm quite good at them? Not sure why or how.