Let's talk about...random things!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by -Danielle-, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Ch1cken

Ch1cken Member

lol I just drink my coffee black, there's a starbucks in my current college but it seems way too expensive for just coffee

I'd feel more comfortable joining something like a fencing club, since it's simpler and I have a bit of an issue with admitting what nerd stuff I like. But I suppose part of the fact I never really had any close friends was down to not being quite open with everything I liked.

2. Ross

Ross Behind you...

I wouldn't worry about liking "nerd" stuff - I'm a 39 year-old Managing Director with a Macross Valkyrie on my desk and a Psycho Pass transforming gun in my office display cabinet - most people I meet are intrigued by my interests rather than put off. I've got my apartment on the market and the Estate Agent spent over an hour just going through all my framed comic art and cabinets full of toys. Nerdy stuff is cool, just depends on how you frame it! The world has certainly moved on since I got into Ranma 1/2 at 13!

3. Necro

Necro Grim User

I went to one of the meets with the anime club - one of the leaders was on my course and I think he took a dislike to me after I never went back. I also went to a couple of the Wargames and Roleplaying Society meets and joined a Warhammer Fantasy game, but nobody made any effort to talk/be friendly so i fucked them off.

As an aside I'd also recommend joining the gym as it helped me keep busy :p It's what I did first year.

4. Necro

Necro Grim User

I went to Hull, so a fair bit away from Manchester :p I'd recommend somewhere unfamiliar so you're completely out of your comfort zone, it's the only way to force yourself to adapt.

Manchester Uni is fantastic by all accounts and I would have happily gone had it not been where I lived (and had I got better grades...). If you go, there's more than enough of us on the forum around for you to hang out with if you're bored ;) I'm always up for a drink out.

I have several friends who went to Sheffield and i've been on nights out there, so I can also recommend there. Enjoy the quad vods in Corp.

5. Ch1cken

Ch1cken Member

Cool, Manchester Uni requires an interview for their degrees, so maybe I'll have to go down there sometime anyway. It would really surprise me if I got rejected from Liverpool but accepted from Manchester, since even if the grade requirements are the same, I'm pretty sure Manchester is higher ranked for biology stuff. I hear if you're interviewed you're pretty much guaranteed a place though.

I'm not much of a drinker lol, I have a few pints when I go down the pub but I had to google what a quad vod was o_o, the train times from Liverpool-Manchester are only an hour (I don't actually live in LIverpool, so with all the waiting for transport it'd probably be like 3 hours lol) so I guess it'd be a day trip if I do get an interview.

6. Necro

Necro Grim User

My best mate went to uni and subsequently bought a house in Liverpool. Went on many a night out there, it's a great laugh. It's really not that far from Manchester so again, if you go there feel free to invite me out ;) I'll show you messy, I'm usually the one to get in a bad state.

7. Necro

Necro Grim User

a write off of a uni day isn't really much of a write off it you never plan to do things anyway :p

8. Necro

Necro Grim User

First year doesn't even count towards the degree on a lot of courses. Its the perfect excuse to cruise by on a 40% pass

9. Necro

Necro Grim User

We have the yearly meets at UKA Stock (which you should definitely come to!) and there are always people prowling around the various conventions and events. That's usually when we see each other as the regulars aren't grouped together at all. We do meet up sometimes though just because.

10. rjessop

rjessop Registered

Goodness me, have you been sipping on the Haterade again Sean? Ch1ken you're welcome to join us at UK-Astock - I think spaces are still available.

11. Necro

Necro Grim User

Sean!? I'll have you know it's Shaun Mr. Jessop ;)

I fail to see how Seb can be described with any other word when there are skimpy costumes around :p

12. Necro

Necro Grim User

tbf we've had complete randoms come and it's always been fine. All we do is play jackbox, board games and get drunk so it's not as if you need prior experience :p

13. SUPERFISH5000

SUPERFISH5000 Church of Pancake

Jackbox is like an anime version of soggy biscuit.

14. rjessop

rjessop Registered

Ah, like the animated sheep. I'll make a note.

Jackbox is lots of fun. You might not see me very much, UK-Astock typically rolls around when I'm training for an epic adventure so I'm outdoors for a lot of it.

15. Ch1cken

Ch1cken Member

Oh it's a video game? I see. I had to google what soggy biscuit was as well, not saw that term for a while.

If I were to come I'd prefer to at least try out smaller meets first.

#2475 Ch1cken, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  16. Shadow Cat

Shadow Cat HelloKittyIsMyWaifu

Sorry for off topic, but I want to get this off my conscience early in the evening and relax
    ---

Its been mentioned that starting in a few weeks time, one of out late starters will be moving over to the early shift, so we will be mostly staffed in the morning with only 1 yardie after 4:30

The mention of /There should be 2 members of staff in the yard/ has been replied with a promise that Shop/Office staff will be available if needed.

Although the majority of the staff in the yard say that there should be minimum of Two at any given time. This isn't what I'm moaning about today

-----

We have a forklift trained delivery driver who's hours are 7:30 till 5:00. My complaint is, the office staff have been giving him permission to go home between 4:00 and 4:30 every day. This includes days where this driver is meant to be supporting me in the yard because my colleague is off ill/holiday. (The hours given. along with forklift training was intended for these situations, where a member of yard staff is off and cover is needed after 4:30)

This has lead to:
    -- Me or my colleague being in the yard alone
    -- Another member of staff working unpaid overtime

Why does the company think its acceptable to be making promises like /Office and Shop staff will assist you after 4:30/.. While they allow the member of staff who is meant to be assisting the yard to go home both early and paid

-----

Sorry for my rant

17. Weirdo

Weirdo UKA Editor in Chief
    Staff Member

Sounds like a breach of health and safety regulations to me...

Maybe time to register with a Union?

18. Shadow Cat

Shadow Cat HelloKittyIsMyWaifu

I need to first make 100% sure the drivers contracted hours haven't changed, if its still the case then I'll be requesting a meeting tomorrow with either the building or assistant building managers

19. Ch1cken

Ch1cken Member

If they're contradicting themselves and leaving you understaffed, surely they'll sort it out after a meeting? It sounds like you won't be alone in complaining if the guy leaving early leads to people having to work unpaid overtime either.

20. Ch1cken

Ch1cken Member

I got my first uni open day invitation earlier today, it'll be nice to see what things there are like.