Let's talk about...random things!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by -Danielle-, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Necro

Necro Grim User

It seems as if the answer to everything I try is "stop being poor".

All I want to do is watch something on my shit TV. It's not even real HD. It's 720p max and still looks shit, but it was free so whatever.
    The TV has HDMI in only. No USB, no DVI, nothing. Laptop has VGA out only. Moving my PC isn't viable. Nothing I own has HDMI out.

Solutions - Amazon Fire(or any media box)/Chromecast/New TV = money
    I have about 100 to my name. Most of that needs to be spent on food.

why is shit so difficult.

2. HdE

HdE Youtube non-personality.

It might be an intimidating solution, but you can get hold of some decent converter / adaptor units. It takes some shopping around to find the best, and if you have only a modest reserve of cash to spare, you'll want to make sure you buy from an outlet that you can return goods to for a full refund if they're no good.

If you want to run a signal from your laptop to the TV, you can get hold of a VGA to HDMI convertor easily enough. Just make sure the input and output sections are the right way around as you need them!

I'd personally recommend buying such a thing from Maplin if you have a local branch. Their prices are over the odds, but returns are hassle free if you need to take it back. Their VGA to HDMI adaptors are pretty affordable, too.

Oh, and beware buying that kind of thing on Ebay. There's a lot of awful, mass produced stuff from China floating about.

3. demon

demon Registered

I'm now not in a good mood with everything that's happening...

I went to my local jobcentre yesterday for an interview with Lidl for a new store that they'll be opening and I was told when I got there that this was only a general conversation and not an actual interview since I would still have to complete the online application process which I completed after I got back home.

After I got back from an estate agent earlier on, I got an email stating that after the interview my application isn't being processed any further and even though I wasn't named (like I was in the email I'd gotten previously from the online application) I've pretty much gone into screw you mode with all this even if I end up getting another interview from this application.

Regardless, I'm pretty much at my wits end in relation to finding a new place to live since I'm unlikely to find anything of a decent size for what money the council will give for a one bed (and I found out that if I were younger then 35, I would only be able to get a room in a shared property of a bedsit) on the private market (and I'm still getting hit by the no DSS hammer) in what little time I have left, so if anyone has a decent sized room (9x12 minimum) that they're willing to let me use for contributions towards utilities (I'm actually the sole payer for the gas here) and has a spare phone lane available (or wants fast internet for nothing as long as the speeds I get are still attainable) then let me know as I just want to get out of this knightmare since in all likelihood I'm not going to get help from anywhere else.

4. Necro

Necro Grim User

Job centre wouldn't give me shit for rent. Had to pay for all my utilities, food + extras on the 250 I got a month. Spoiler: It wasn't enough to cover my bills.

They're pretty useless

5. demon

demon Registered

That's because they don't deal with rent.

You should have gone to the council to apply for housing benefit, but considering what they've done to it you wouldn't have gotten that much if you're under 35 years old (as I said being below 35 years old would only get you enough rent to pay for a shared property or a bedsit) and would most likely have had to apply for DHP as well.

6. demon

demon Registered

Well with everything that has gone on recently, I've decided that a clean sheet is required and if I can get the help with rent advances, deposits and moving costs (plus the housing benefit thing) and I'll be moving to Liverpool since I can get a decent one bed place for at least 90 which is the top of the one bed LHA for Liverpool.

7. macloud

macloud 5qw34k!!

If Liverpool doesnt work out price wise down here in Stoke on trent you can get a one bedroom house for between 3-400 p/cm.

Right move

Zoopla

8. demon

demon Registered

I've looked through the zoopla list and it's pretty much a bust already since the local housing allowance for that area is 10 less then it is for Liverpool, plus there seems to be fewer accepting DSS/housing benefit and there's the need to be as close to the local jobcentre as possible which seems to be better in Liverpool since there seems to be at least 10 around Liverpool.

9. Dandaman

Dandaman Awesome!

Bordering a mental breakdown, no real idea how I've ended up in this mess as everything was going so well. I was looking after myself, getting ''out there'' so to speak and enjoying life for what it is.

Now, I find myself struggling to get out of bed. The thought of having to deal with life for another day is actually stressing me out, which is extremely weird. I'm far from hard pushed, I make decent money and even though I'm not 100% with my job, It's certainly not the worst. I thought what I needed was to push some direction into my life, so I went ahead and set myself some monthly goals as well as ultimate fulfilling goals. I thought that would help, but it hasn't really... although I did mean them very much!

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get through just fine, I've managed it every other time so I don't see how this can be of any difference. It's just extremely frustrating as I can't quite pinpoint where it all went wrong this time round.

----------------------------

Anyways, onto brighter things. I've been listing the remaining parts of my game collection on eBay, haven't got too much left now which actually puts some form of a smile on my face. It's been fun!

Been thinking about streaming as well recently, looking into an Elgato HD60 Pro at the moment but dunno if that's the route I'll go down. My game taste is varied but I quite fancy taking on PES as a main game, quite enjoy playing that. :p

10. Shadow Cat

Shadow Cat The resident Yuri Fan

Really wish I could give you advice Dan but I'm really not sure :( I seem to be going though something similar

Just make sure you don't drink Alc as thats what seems to be making me far worse. I'm going to push myself to stopping after last night lol

Best of luck and I hope things improve xx

11. Dandaman

Dandaman Awesome!

Thank you, it's very much appreciated! It's amazing how many other people may be similar but you don't know.

I've been known to flip my lid and get completely wasted, but right now I don't even have the energy to do that nor do I really want to. If I did, I know it'd end up worse than anything before... and I've done some right stupid s**t!

I hope you feel better soon, dude. :D

12. Weirdo

Weirdo UKA Catgirl Correspondant

Having gone through the same issues, I strongly suggest going to speak to your GP about it. I ended up on the happy pills, but the issues still kick in occasionally. Also mention to your employer your MH issues and if you can work from home, probably worth doing.

Definitely seek help mate. Its horrible to go through :(

13. Dandaman

Dandaman Awesome!

I've yet to have a good experience with medication, but it may be something I will have to try, regardless. As far as working from home goes, no chance but I've opted to go sick this week. It's not something I'd usually do but I'm feeling a bit run down at the moment.

I want to refrain from discussing it with my line manager as it's my dad, so I'd rather not in all honesty + my work is kinda peaceful, nobody bothers me and everyone is happy with the work I put out.

----------------------

Once again, back to good things. I got back on the exercise bike last night and spat out 20 sprints. It felt quite good as I've been away from it for a while, also had a swift ab workout this morning and will more than likely enjoy some more sprints tonight. :D

14. Necro

Necro Grim User

Started the gym again... again. Actually forcing myself to go, and counting my calories properly. Good start so far.

Not sure what my goals are at the moment, but I *think* leaning up for dem abs then going on a slow winter bulk is a solid plan

15. Shadow Cat

Would people talk to their Building Manager about their current circumstances? I don't know what to say or what I even plan on achieving by doing it

It just feels like I'm at the end of what I can handle, nothing is getting better and after a shitty letter from next door I've honestly had enough. This has been getting worse since last December (2015) and over the last 3~4 weeks I've just felt sick... felt sh** to the point of actually feeling/being sick

Sorry about this post, but I would seriously like to know if this is something you would discuss with your Building Manager

16. Necro

Necro Grim User

Probably.

I went to the halls manager at uni over two people who were f*ckin unbearable. Too late for them to do anything mind, but I would have had them kicked out in a heartbeat. I really hope one of them in particular ends up having a shit life, just misery from there on out. Absolute c*nt

17. Shadow Cat

I don't think much is going to happen with my last post. Other member of staff is having family issues what I neither want to intrude in, nor want to be seen as one of those members of staff whos like "oh well hes having issues, here's mine"

First things first. I need a way to stop drinking. Like 100% stop again. For the last 2 weeks I've been buying beer, running out and going back down the shops. I have neither the money to sustain this, neither the health. Buts its like... I want but dont /want/ that beer.

One step at a time

18. macloud

macloud 5qw34k!!

Shadow cat I've sent you a PM with some numbers and a site.

Shadow Cat likes this.
  19. Necro

Necro Grim User

Happiest I've been in a long time happens to be a Friday night spent alone in the gym till 11pm.

Who needs friends when you have heavy ass weights. Muscle memory is a wonderful thing; prior strength coming back, basically at my deadlift PR from years ages ago second week back in, I'm getting leaner, I'm sticking to my calorie counting.

If I can sort out my absolute hatred and dread of waking up in the morning (in many interpretations of the phrase) then I might be on the road to a pretty good place.

All in all, feeling positive for the first time in a long while.

20. Weirdo

Weirdo UKA Catgirl Correspondant

Exercise brings with it lots of happy hormones :)

Glad working out is helping. At least it helps you forget a bit.