Last film you watched:

Discussion in 'Other media' started by Cell, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Cell

Cell GORDON PUNCH

We've a book one and if there is one for films it's dropped off the activity cut off.

State and Main:

With an excellent cast (William H. Macy, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Alec Baldwin and Clark Gregg) I had a sneaky feeling this was going to be another PSH film I loved, especially after just watching Magnolia. This film is the partial inspiration for the Simpsons episode Any Given Sundance. A film crew comes to a sleepy Vermont town and their movie makes a ruckus everywhere, especially for Hoffman's character who falls in love with a local book store owner and inspires him to adapt his own novella into a script.

8/10, great watch even if some references are a little dated.

2. duoinchains

duoinchains t'other resident yaoi fan

Deadpool (rewatch). Love it!

The Martian a cross between Castaway, Apollo 13 and 2001:A Space Oddity. Enjoyable, plausible, engaging.

3. Jinjer

Jinjer Registered

just saw suicide squad... there's too much joker, i think

4. Manning

Manning The Lunatic Fringe

Batman vs Superman - Sucked, so much.

5. Chiaki_Hazuki

Chiaki_Hazuki Ninja warrior prince

City Of Angels (1997).
    Starring: Nicholas Cage, Meg Ryan.

6. Chiaki_Hazuki

Chiaki_Hazuki Ninja warrior prince

Thanks for sharing. I was going to rent it but now I hear it's crap, I won't bother. Man Of Steel was good. I'm Team Superman anyway lol

7. duoinchains

Star Trek Beyond - plot was a tad lacking, but still an enjoyable watch.

Suicide Squad - again, an enjoyable watch, even if the character intros and set-up were horribly, horribly rushed and the plot flimsier than tracing paper.

8. Manning

Manning The Lunatic Fringe

I'm sorry I couldn't elaborate more on it, but I felt the film was a waste of time after watching it so I really didn't want to waste my time talking more about it lol.

I also loved Man of Steel, which is why I gave B vs S a go, seriously let down, big time.

9. duoinchains

The Brand New Testament

Fantastic Belgian dark comedy. God exists. He lives in a dingy flat in Brussels, toying with humanity via his PC. His young daughter rebels against his mean, grumpy ways and runs away to gather her own set of apostles, like her older brother.

Like the excellent Dogma, it's quite blasphemous, enjoyably so, with a delightful conclusion.

10. Cell

Cell GORDON PUNCH

Star Trek: Beyond

What an absolute mess. I didn't have a clue what was going on for the majority and Justin Lin was a terrible choice of director for this. He's not a bad director but Star Trek is not what he's good at.

This sounds like my kind of film. I'll check it out, thanks.

#10 Cell, Aug 14, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  11. Jinjer

Jinjer Registered

train to busan --- what is it with koreans and their trains?

12. -Danielle-

-Danielle- Whore dollas all over the place...

IT. (2017)

I loved it. Badly cut in areas but I loved it!

Bill was amazing as Pennywise. They made it look amazingly 80's (some filming still looks too fresh) and I love how they got Mike from Stranger Things to play Richie. Aside from Pennywise he was the best thing about it!

Hopefully the Directors Cut will fix the films issues. And I hope to god they dont mess up the adult casting as the kids were perfect. If they get too well known actors, it will ruin it.

13. Cell

Cell GORDON PUNCH

Panic Room

David Fincher is an overrated director. Another decent, but hardly great film from him. Does everything you'd expect from a hostage situation/imprisonment film and nothing else.

6.5/10

14. Ross

Ross Behind you...
    Staff Member

Saw Kingsman II on Wednesday. Enjoyed it but I thought it an odd choice to close off the world they'd built as much as they expanded it. Some great action and genuinely funny bits. Worth a watch, but not quite as good as the first one (what sequel is?)

15. Martin

Martin guitaku

My impression of the second Kingsman was pretty similar. I recall reading that there's a third one planned, which I'm not particularly keen on. The second one ended in a pretty great way, and it would be nice if they quit while they're ahead. As it stands, I totally agree it's a pair of really fun, action packed movies.

In stark contrast, there's mother! from Darren Aronofsky. :eek: Imagine a movie that's stupid, predictable, poorly acted but really fun and demands to be watched repeatedly. This is the exact opposite. Artistically it's brilliant, but It's also very, very hard-hitting and unsettling. Even though it's objectively *good* in terms of cinematography, acting and sheer courage to take the story on the route that it does, I'm very reluctant to actually recommend it.

16. Cell

Cell GORDON PUNCH

Midnight Run

A film I had honestly never heard of until I downloaded it onto my Sky Box off Sky Cinema last night. If I'd known it was directed by Martin Brest (Beverly Hills Cop) and starred De Niro, Pantoliano, Baker-Hall, Farina and Kotto I'd have been all over it. I didn't, and missed it. One of the best "buddy" films you'll find- even if De Niro plays an ex-cop, not a current cop.

8.5/10

17. duoinchains

Bladerunner (Final Cut, 4k remaster)

As my local Vue (like many cinemas) was doing a one-off screening of the original(ish) Bladerunner in advance of the sequel's release, it had to be done. I did see it (slightly underage) on first release back in '82 and I have to say it's lost none of it's impact and appeal. Properly gritty dystopian sci-fi, visually stunning and beautifully told. And to think it's only 2 years until it all becomes real!!

Aiming to see Bladerunner 2049 this coming weekend.

18. Cell

Cell GORDON PUNCH

Behemoth

Thought provoking documentary about the impact of the iron and coal industry on the people and landscape of Inner Mongolia. Some of the scale of the works undertaken is absolutely staggering, as is the price the men and women pay for doing these jobs. The mental and physical strain is palpable on every face.

9/10