Accommodation for SLA

Discussion in 'Scotland Loves Anime 2018' started by Weirdo, Mar 19, 2018.

?

Accommodation Requirements

Poll closed Jul 2, 2018.
  1. Not interested.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. One bed (Single / Double or Sofa)

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  3. Two beds

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Double Bed

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. Weirdo

Weirdo UKA Editor in Chief
    Staff Member

As with SLA 2017, we hired two six bed (well, 4 bed and 2 sofa bed) apartments at rounghly £100 for 3 nights per person.

I will be looking to do this again this year for the full weekend of the Edinburgh event, 19th - 21st October, and would like to know who is interested in a space.

EDIT - From post:

All,

I have reserved 2 apartments in the same complex as last year.

We have 9 people, and I suggest sorting things out like this:

Apartment 1
    • Double
      • Carl
      • Gaby
    • Twin
      • Matt C
      • Seb R
    • Sofa Bed
      • Rob M (I will also bring a camp bed / mattress)
    Apartment 2
    • Double
      • Danielle +1
    • Twin
      • Martin B
      • Cell (And I STILL FORGET YOUR REAL NAME!!!)
    • Sofa Bed
      • Dan B
    At the moment, I am suggesting that its £178 per person for 3 nights. We have free parking available as well.

Can you all confirm if you are comfortable with this arrangement?

Edit 28/06 - Added Dani +1, Moved Dan B to Apart 2. Revised cost.
    Edit 02/07 - Undid Dani's changes. Revised cost back.

#1 Weirdo, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  2. Shadow Cat

Shadow Cat HelloKittyIsMyWaifu

I cast my vote on the basis that, its very likely I will get time off/swapped Saturday. But there is always the chance that something will mess up

I loved Scotland and meeting up with everyone so it would be a shame not making it

------

Edit, also should mention I would consider sharing a room but not in the living room again. I usually go to sleep 11pm-ish, so staying up till 2 last year was a killer lol

#2 Shadow Cat, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  3. latro

latro Anime Editor
    Staff Member

Sounds like a plan to me!

4. Martin

Martin guitaku
    Staff Member

Barring a problem with getting time off work (unlikely, given the amount of notice I'll be giving), I'm fine with a single bed. Count me in as interested!

5. Carlito

Carlito AKA Puru-Two

Need a double bed for me and Puru, or even if it is not possible, we will be happy with twin beds, but we do want our own room please.

6. -Danielle-

-Danielle- Whore dollas all over the place...

I wouldnt want a sofa i’m afraid due to being unable to sleep till everyone else would want to lol.

Prefer own single room, single bed in such is fine, double is of course fine too.

That price point sounds fine already.

Do y’all just fend for yaselves with noms?

Where’s SLA based? Is there an airport/train station nearby there/the apartment area we desire? Really dont want a car ride unless I have to. 5 hours sounds minging lol.

7. Carlito

Carlito AKA Puru-Two

SLA is at Edinburgh, there are direct trains from Manchester Piccadilly, Also if you book early, Trans Pennine tend to do some cheap fares, too. In fact I am tempted to go on the train myself.

As for food last year, we had breakfast in a cafe 2 mins away from the apartment, and had meals between films, and of course you could always try a lovely Pizza Crunch. which I had last year,

8. Cell

Cell GORDON PUNCH

Or go for the head sized burrito.

9. -Danielle-

Head sized burrito?

I’M IN.

Thats good then so I can pull cafe or buy something to eat when everyone would go there.

Whats the areas distance from the airport? A 65 min flight is hella tempting lol.

Didnt realise that this would basically cost when UKAS does when you inc travel. Its a decent price point. Guess once Seb looks for places to suit everyone we can get a more solid price point :)

As what Matt’s said, i’d wana do, some films, some sightseeing. Dont think i could handle a 5 film sesh like some of you lot :p

10. Cell

Cell GORDON PUNCH

Edinburgh Airport is in Ingliston, which is on the west side of Edinburgh. iirc, it's about a 15 minute journey traffic depending into the town centre.

11. Shadow Cat

Shadow Cat HelloKittyIsMyWaifu

For last year;

Walk out of the Airport, take tram towards Edinburough city center, stop is Haymarket Street. About 15~20 mins

Trains are either direct from Manc Pic to Haymarket (3:15) for £72.80 or via Preston (3:40) £24.50. Discount would be applied if booked in advance. I see direct trains going as little as £26 if booked a few weeks in advance

12. -Danielle-

Ooooh cheers Matt. Airport sounds enticing if it isnt that far to get to where we’d wana stay :)

13. Chrispynutt

Chrispynutt New Member

I'd also mention within Scotland pre booking with Scotrail for an advanced ticket can save you loads. However it can be very timing specific. For example you can get £5 there and £8.50 back from Inverness to Haymarket. However those advances dry up and its suddenly £44.50 in one way!

Seems to be around 2-3 months in advance available not any further.

14. Random88

Random88 The Videogame Guy

I'm happy with just a single bed. Not going to lie that double bed last year was pretty sweet but I'm not fussed this year

15. shanaleonhart

Apparently the schedule has already been done for the rest of the year and I'm not working soo.... I'm interested. No idea how I'd get there, seems like flying is probably going to be the cheapest option given that it's £150 return on the train from London, wtfzors.

16. -Danielle-

As long as no sofa and I share with Shana or one of the lads I know better if I don't get my own room, I'm fine with it.

I'll ultimately know how I'm opting to travel there once I've travelled to the wedding in Scotland mid next month.

EDIT: ya know how you say till 21st Oct, does that mean we sleep there the Sun night too and go home Monday 22nd please?

#16 -Danielle-, Apr 5, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  17. Weirdo

Weirdo UKA Editor in Chief
    Staff Member

We usually do the three nights and go home Monday.

18. -Danielle-

OK great thanks, just didn't want to not book enough days off :D

19. rjessop

rjessop Registered

Wow. I can usually get two singles (advance tickets) from Brighton, changing in London, for about £100. Still, that's no guide - cross subsidisation means train prices be crazy :(

Six hour trip too! Usually I'll splash out on 1st class so I get room, food and drink en route. Expensive, but when the train is parked up for two hours because of some idiot throwing bricks onto the track from a bridge the gin helps pass the time.

20. Cell

Cell GORDON PUNCH

The one thing I can generally bus to with ease, costs me about £25, just the fun of the drunks on the megabus.